mssz

glue for tying bucktails

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

so, just started tying my own bucktails (cheaper than buying them when your learning the ins and outs of fishing with them and therefore losing them to snags)..

what do folks recommend for sealing the threads... epoxy? nail polish?  head cement? any tips?

gotta get thru march somehow... thanks!

11 hours ago, mssz said:

so, just started tying my own bucktails (cheaper than buying them when your learning the ins and outs of fishing with them and therefore losing them to snags)..

what do folks recommend for sealing the threads... epoxy? nail polish?  head cement? any tips?

gotta get thru march somehow... thanks!

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Hardener, or Gorilla Super Glue (brush and nozzle).

Check out both Lou Caruso’s and John Skinner’s YT videos on making bucktails. But ya don’t have to powdercoat them, I like CS coatings vinyl paint with a clear coat. Easier and tougher and ya don’t need an oven...

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don’t even bother with the hard as nails anymore . Just cheap ass harbor freight crazy glue here . Holds up all the same in my experience, quick , easy cheap , and easy to cut right off with razor knife when it’s time to retie 

Edited by Wire For Fire

I just use dollar store clear nail polish. Fishing sticky bottom I rarely have a jig long enough to have that fail. 

Now due to chemical engineering we have UV activated glues.. I have been using the UV glue on bucktails and even the winding on rods.. 

9 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

I don’t even bother with the hard as nails anymore . Just cheap ass harbor freight crazy glue here . Holds up all the same in my experience, quick , easy cheap , and easy to cut right off with razor knife when it’s time to retie 

Same here. Dollar store or harbor freight,  it don’t matter

43 mins ago, GP100 said:

I just use dollar store clear nail polish. Fishing sticky bottom I rarely have a jig long enough to have that fail. 

i figured that's why i would start tying my own in the first place, i'm considering them sacrificial. i got a good piece of advice the other day 'dont worry about snags, if youre not losing jigs your not learning how to fish them properly'

thanks all!

41 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

Now due to chemical engineering we have UV activated glues.. I have been using the UV glue on bucktails and even the winding on rods.. 

that's interesting though, it sets but doesnt cure fully until uv exposure?

I tie my jigs (skirted bass jigs using Tufline waxed rigging floss......

Hit it with a heat source to melt it uniformly after a few simple finish knots.

I can wrench on it to get awesome flare without compromising slilicon skirt strength....(not something that would apply to bucktails)

Not sure if it would work for bucktails..it's my goto for silicon...Prefer it over different wire types, oring / bands, types/ sizes and thread