People with rods in PVC annoy me and this one time...

Rate this topic

Stopsign32v

I know it's a popular way to fish but I like throwing and cranking so when walking wanting to do that it is annoying when 1 or 2 people have 6 rods all taking up the length of 50 yards doing nothing and no bites.

Last time I went fishing the same spot I caught some blues on the beach. It was in the mouth of the ICW and the current there is damn swift! I went back the next day and a line of people all had rods just sitting there doing nothing and instead talking to eachother. I looked at their line and noticed that the current was so strong that all of their lines/bait had been pushed up against within a foot or two of the shore. Makes you wonder why some people even bother going.

8 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

I know it's a popular way to fish but I like throwing and cranking so when walking wanting to do that it is annoying when 1 or 2 people have 6 rods all taking up the length of 50 yards doing nothing and no bites.

Last time I went fishing the same spot I caught some blues on the beach. It was in the mouth of the ICW and the current there is damn swift! I went back the next day and a line of people all had rods just sitting there doing nothing and instead talking to eachother. I looked at their line and noticed that the current was so strong that all of their lines/bait had been pushed up against within a foot or two of the shore. Makes you wonder why some people even bother going.

So relatable and annoying

I took my wife, my daughter and 3 nieces last year, none of them fish. This was their only option bait n wait. They fished all weekend and now want to make it an annual trip. So I'm sorry if PVC fishing bothers you but it's how many, many people get into the sport. Maybe fish the other 500 yards of beach available to you. :howdy:

31 mins ago, bruceinva said:

If all the line was a couple of feet from shore, you could have fished wherever you wanted without having to worry about their line.  

1 that would have been rude and 2 I couldn't cast due to their rods, rod holders, and line going from 11 ft in the air to the shore side by side. Basically a wall of wasted setups.

39 mins ago, StickinLips said:

I took my wife, my daughter and 3 nieces last year, none of them fish. This was their only option bait n wait. They fished all weekend and now want to make it an annual trip. So I'm sorry if PVC fishing bothers you but it's how many, many people get into the sport. Maybe fish the other 500 yards of beach available to you. :howdy:

Beginners are much more entertained with a cast and retrieved follow with a bite vs sitting there doing nothing or on their phone for hours waiting on the tip of the rod to move. Kinda the same concept as to all popular Youtube fishermen are cast and retrieved. Which ones do you enjoy that put up a camera on a tripod while they just sit in a lawn chair waiting on the bite?

Edited by Stopsign32v

I’m not much of a bait guy unless I’m fishing for tog or drum, but the people who sit rods out on the beach don’t bother me at all. There’s plenty of beach and they have a lot of gear to lug around so they’re not going to be too far from the access points. By the time I walk for a few minutes they’re not a issue at all.

People who throw bait rods out in a inlet and let them drift 100 feet to the side before settling in to the rocks bug me though. In smaller inlets a few guys take up a lot of space doing that and the issue could be avoided if they threw up current and let it drift to their feet instead. But it is what it is. Avoid weekends and it’s usually not bad anyway.

Why not introduce yourself and give them a viable solution to catch, thus ending their time fishing to go home and eat.   

They'll be happy to relinquish the spot to the guy who helped them catch dinner.   

It has worked before.   

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

Just now, flylikabird said:

Why not introduce yourself and give them a viable solution to catch, thus ending their time fishing to go home and eat.   

They'll be happy to relinquish the spot to the guy who helped them catch dinner.   

It has worked before.   

I don't like people

There are many different ways to fish and many reasons why people go fishing.  I feel we have to be tolerant of everyone as long as they're doing things legally.  I personally fish with a spike so I can wander around a few feet from my rod and work my chronically aching  back.  I'm able to last 3 hours this way as opposed to an hour if I continually cast.  I have had perfect strangers criticize me for not being a "real fisherman".  The conversation is usually brief and ugly.  Down in Florida where I fish, the beachfront fishermen are often elderly.  They not only spike, they also sit most of the time.  So what?  They are enjoying themselves and that's all that counts.  

Marty