punkroktownie

Local kayak?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, punkroktownie said:

I'm currently looking. Any suggests?

Trade one for a Zeebass set up? I just lost my fingertip.

Not sure where the deals are locally.

I think it would help to be more specific in terms of what you are looking for - budget, paddle vs. pedal, used in surf vs. flat water, etc. 

10 mins ago, drmevo said:

I think it would help to be more specific in terms of what you are looking for - budget, paddle vs. pedal, used in surf vs. flat water, etc. 

I suppose that's always the truth.

Pedal preferably. Salt-worthy. Semi-budget. There is a new 12' Hobie pdl for around $1600. Super hesitant to pull the plug. I guess I'm looking for a decent used version. And Pdl isn't a deal breaker. 

1 min ago, Chalkdust said:

Was just in Cabelas and they have a good assortment of Ascend Kayaks. They are sit on tops and set up for fishing.

Saw those the other day when I was there. I wish they had a spot for throwing a Mirage a Drive in, later as an upgrade.

2 hours ago, Chalkdust said:

Was just in Cabelas and they have a good assortment of Ascend Kayaks. They are sit on tops and set up for fishing.

I have a 14' ascend SOT, its  heavy. 

15 hours ago, punkroktownie said:

I suppose that's always the truth.

Pedal preferably. Salt-worthy. Semi-budget. There is a new 12' Hobie pdl for around $1600. Super hesitant to pull the plug. I guess I'm looking for a decent used version. And Pdl isn't a deal breaker. 

Yeah, I haven't tried it but I have heard the Hobie Passport is nice for the price. That's probably what I would look closely at if it were me and I was buying new in that price range. You could probably find a used Revo, Outback or Compass for around that price if you wanted to stick with Hobie. For my specific storage and transportation requirements I try to keep the hull weight around or below 70 lbs. and that's one reason I like some of the Hobie hulls. The Old Town pedal kayaks are nice but all the ones I've seen and handled in person are heavy. 

On 3/1/2021 at 8:53 AM, drmevo said:

Yeah, I haven't tried it but I have heard the Hobie Passport is nice for the price. That's probably what I would look closely at if it were me and I was buying new in that price range. You could probably find a used Revo, Outback or Compass for around that price if you wanted to stick with Hobie. For my specific storage and transportation requirements I try to keep the hull weight around or below 70 lbs. and that's one reason I like some of the Hobie hulls. The Old Town pedal kayaks are nice but all the ones I've seen and handled in person are heavy. 

I bought a 14' tinny with 10 hp outboard for $600, half the price of some kayaks.

I kept the yak, it has its place but then so do the waders.

I ain't got much, just everything I need.

Go see the people at Contoocook  River Canoe and Kayak. In summer you can demo boats and paddles. At times they have used boats in stock. Large selection of boats.