LockedDrag

Are there certain type of areas/structure you refuse to fish?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

For me, it’s sandy beaches. I don’t even bother to try unless I know the fish is there or there is a blitz. Always has been a waste of time for me. The gods themselves wouldn’t be able to convince me to attempt to build confidence to learn to fish beaches

Edited by LockedDrag

Actually, in response to the OP I won't fish areas like the rocks at Montauk or irregular (not flat) jetties any longer.  Getting not so nimble at 76 years of age and think they would be detrimental to my health.  :eek:

Edited by Spigola

23 mins ago, Spigola said:

The sandy beaches separate the fishermen from the wannabes. :howdy:

Beaches are dinkfests for me. I’ve only cracked a fish over 20” once lol

Agree with two previous posters.... areas I fished regularly when younger now wisdom has arrived with age and I walk by them satisfied on being able to pick off a few fish and able to walk back to the vehicle and go back home without a trip to the ER or worse. You don’t get old without wisdom to ones limitations. No fish is worth a burial at sea ;)  I’ve caught my share of cows over the years. Today I fish to just enjoy and be part of the environment my fish frequent. 

Edited by Jim DE

Once I went to the outer Cape it opened up a whole new world on how to read a beach.  Now I take sand beaches as a challenge.  
The only structure I avoid is where I can’t safely land... or release a big fish. 

Sandy Beaches have some of the best structures and I have landed some nice size fish on them. I will not attempt to fish Maine anymore , I feel like there are old lobster traps everywhere that make you snag up. My success was very limited in multiple areas. 

I love sandy beaches not so much rocky ones........won’t fish on stone jetty’s but will fish along side of them....limited mobility precludes fishing from rocks of any type

48 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Beaches are dinkfests for me. I’ve only cracked a fish over 20” once lol

When you learn to read open sandy beaches a whole new world of striper fishing opens up to you.  I think your avatar shows you to be a fairly young man.  With time and experience you will expand your striper fishing horizons.  Trust me it will come to you one day.

Beaches are tough especially long gradual sloping ones. It is a old saying in DE if you can catch fish consistently with artificial’s off DE beaches you can catch fish anywhere and I truly believe that. NJ beaches are 10x easier imho than DE beaches to fish artificial’s due to water clarity and the effects on the open beaches by structure breaks even like cutoff jetties. 

I live in Northern DE and it is about equal time to drive to the SFZ or the DE beaches. 99.9% of the time I go to Jersey to fish.

4 mins ago, Spigola said:

When you learn to read open sandy beaches a whole new world of striper fishing opens up to you.  I think your avatar shows you to be a fairly young man.  With time and experience you will expand your striper fishing horizons.  Trust me it will come to you one day.

Too bad I won’t be on the east coast much longer lol the Midwest and marriage is knocking on my door 

2 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Too bad I won’t be on the east coast much longer lol the Midwest and marriage is knocking on my door 

I was born in Baltimore and spent my first 12 years of life there. Moved to the Midwest and spent the next 16 years there. As soon as I got the chance to move back to steamed bluefin crab land I jumped on it. The Midwest is nice but the choice of a 20” trout or 8lb bass compared to a 25 lb Striper there is no doubt which way I preferred. 

You’ll be back as a person born near a ocean can only tolerate being landlocked just so long. The Stripers on open beaches will be here waiting for you!!

For me I hate crowds. So areas that get over run I avoid.

Years ago I was on a jetty in NJ with a buddy alone watching a school of bunker getting crushed. It came right in to us. Hooked a nice upper teen bass got a hold of it and another caster fires a shot from behind me. Turn around to see another dozen guys running out to the jetty. I walked away.

Areas or structure wise there isn’t much I don’t like. Boulder fields, inlets, open beach, back bays they all present different challenges and produce.

Mobility is becoming a factor for me so a place like Pt. Judith might be out for me. Did it in my mid 30’s and it was hard to traverse all that cobble.

Edited by LowEnd

47 mins ago, Jim DE said:

I was born in Baltimore and spent my first 12 years of life there. Moved to the Midwest and spent the next 16 years there. As soon as I got the chance to move back to steamed bluefin crab land I jumped on it. The Midwest is nice but the choice of a 20” trout or 8lb bass compared to a 25 lb Striper there is no doubt which way I preferred. 

You’ll be back as a person born near a ocean can only tolerate being landlocked just so long. The Stripers on open beaches will be here waiting for you!!

Damn right lol as soon as it’s a viable option, you won’t see me hesitate to move back