flyman28

Good book on Tying with EP fibers and similar materials

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

My buddies birthday is coming up and I'd like to give him a book that details techniques and tips for tying with EP Fibers, Congo Hair, Crease Fly materials and other synthetics for Salt Water.  He fishes mostly back bay in South West Florida and the east coast from the Cape to Virginia.  Any ideas of a good one?  Thanks!

2 hours ago, flyman28 said:

My buddies birthday is coming up and I'd like to give him a book that details techniques and tips for tying with EP Fibers, Congo Hair, Crease Fly materials and other synthetics for Salt Water.  He fishes mostly back bay in South West Florida and the east coast from the Cape to Virginia.  Any ideas of a good one?  Thanks!

It would be difficult to find a book illustrating step by step sequences using EP Fibers or Congo Hair. 

There are books with fly patterns with recipes using those materials. 

A good resource would be Saltwater Flies of the Northeast by Angelo Peluso.

There are plenty of You Tube video too to search using and tying those material.

As you said though, "It's a gift you really want"   

Maybe give him a gift certificate from a fly shop?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Even if there was a book detailing the use of these fibers I'm not sure it would help tremendously.  I've watched many videos with folks tying with these materials and they didn't help me much. Until you experience them on your own do you find those subtle nuances for tying effectively. Much of this stuff is so slippery it's best just to dive in and learn to do it by trial and error and learn what works for you. Wig hair is so inexpensive that it really costs next to nothing to just jump right in and start experimenting. My $0.02

HT

Edited by HillTop

Best thing would be to watch Enrico tie one of his flies in person and if not possible

in a video perhaps.  Back in the day he was pretty tight with his videos and he use to charge on his website to view.  That’s a long time ago so maybe things have change. I don’t tie them but I have seen Enrico tie more than once and without a doubt most people use too much material.  His flies when he ties are transparent and quite beautiful.  I think as Hilltop mentioned it’s all about experience and I would be sure to have some long bladed shears on hand that are purposed for cutting synthetics.

Thanks Folks.  As I mentioned in the original post . I was looking for a gift for a friend.  So if nothing is out there, I'll bag the idea and look for something else.  Thank you for all the input, I really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Frank

I've been looking for a similar book but havent had any luck. Blane Chockletts Game changer book has some great information on synthetics and their characteristics in design, but its heavy on his brushes, chenille materials and the game changer platform.  There's not much on more traditional synthetic and EP flies. 

When I started I found Gunnar Brammers videos really helpful for synthetic tying techniques.  If I didn't find a great lot on the BST I probably would've picked up one of his material kits.  Might be a cool gift if he doesn't already have all the materials. 

If giving him a book is still your thought, I’ve recently read a couple good ones for fishing FL. Snook on the fly by norm Ziegler, fly fishing for redfish by Chico Fernandez. Lords of the Fly by Monte Burke . The first 2 provide great info for fishing those specific fish, the third is about tarpon fishing

Any book from Bob Popovics,esp his newest ,would be along the lines of what you're looking for.

I don't know a tier who wouldn't appreciate that....

2 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Any book from Bob Popovics,esp his newest ,would be along the lines of what you're looking for.

I don't know a tier who wouldn't appreciate that....

This is what I was going to recommend as well. 

On 2/28/2021 at 10:06 PM, Orca said:

Here ya go.  Tim if this not allowed please delete.  It’s a tying video.

Great video of Enrico tying one of his most famous patterns. Years ago when I was a member of the Salty Flyrodders of NY some of us used to go over to his shop in Queens. He was always happy to help us with any questions we had. BTW, that's an outrageous custom made vise he has there.

Perry