cow tamer

Sure Signs of Spring

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

Days are really getting longer and more and more birds each day. Hopefully herring will start showing in next few weeks.

Casted towards one yesterday and pulled out a striper. Probably the third cormorant I've seen so far this year. Things are warming up.

A clam digger out of Bristol has had pods of bunker showing up around him north of Colt's State park.  Pods of 60 or 70 on the top of the water.

The sound of a wooden bat hitting a baseball on the screws or a fast ball popping into a catchers mitt.  Thats spring stuff.

7 hours ago, L Train said:

A clam digger out of Bristol has had pods of bunker showing up around him north of Colt's State park.  Pods of 60 or 70 on the top of the water.

This is what we like to hear :howdy:

Sure sign of spring on coast for me is ospreys. Anyone seen any around nests yet ?

Inland, it's red wing blackbirds.

29 mins ago, bdowning said:

The red of red wing blackbirds, much like the yellow of golden finches, darken and is  more subdued in winter. Both bird types are still around in winter but it is not until spring that their vibrant colors re-appear.

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

Sure sign of spring on coast for me is ospreys. Anyone seen any around nests yet ?

I was out at a holdover area which also sees herring, and there were 2 large birds circling. I feel like they were Osprey but they never got close enough to make a clear identification.

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

The sound of a wooden bat hitting a baseball on the screws or a fast ball popping into a catchers mitt.  Thats spring stuff.

In a non Covid world my family and i go to Fla to visit my parents each year and they live near where the Mets spring training is.  We always go catch a pre-season, and NOTHING makes me feel like spring and summer is coming then drinking a beer and watching a baseball game!! To me there isnt much better then catching a ball game with a few cold beers in the warm sun.

Kids baseball starts in a few weeks, and I cannot wait. Love being on a ball field, just something awesome about it to me.  I know baseball is a dying sport but my kids and i love it.

Edited by Kooky