ermghoti

What a Monumental D'Bag (Poaching Content)

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

When I was stationed in Key West, this happened every year during the "mini lobster season."  The Keys does a mini-season for Florida residents for a week (?) before they open everything up.  All the freaks from the mainland invade and scarf everything that flies, runs, crawls, or swims.  It's bedlam.   I did it the first year and then said: "screw that."  Stayed out of the water while all the Guido's and their cigarette boats were hauling ass at a hundred miles an hour from point to point trying to rape all the resources.  

8 mins ago, JimP said:

When I was stationed in Key West, this happened every year during the "mini lobster season."  The Keys does a mini-season for Florida residents for a week (?) before they open everything up.  All the freaks from the mainland invade and scarf everything that flies, runs, crawls, or swims.  It's bedlam.   I did it the first year and then said: "screw that."  Stayed out of the water while all the Guido's and their cigarette boats were hauling ass at a hundred miles an hour from point to point trying to rape all the resources.  

Sickening. These were commercial guys according to the article though. Even worse.

4 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Sickening. These were commercial guys according to the article though. Even worse.

Yup. The problem is that they'll pay a $1,000.00 fine and that will be that.  They'll be at it next year.   They need to lose their boats; gear; vehicle; etc.  Take everything associated with that criminal enterprise.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

35 mins ago, JimP said:

Yup, unless you own a restaurant/dive shop down there, mini season is the most dreaded time of year for most of the Keys residents. 

During the 2008 mini season, a guy was caught with 6,000 (!) tails, many taken from protected waters. If you google “lobster poaching 2008” you can find the story.

Edited by C.Robin

17 mins ago, JimP said:

Yup. The problem is that they'll pay a $1,000.00 fine and that will be that.  They'll be at it next year.   They need to lose their boats; gear; vehicle; etc.  Take everything associated with that criminal enterprise.  

I can't imagine the argument against crush a commercial guy that just absoluteely ignores fish and game law. It's not like some doofus wandered down to the beach and was heading home to cook up dinner.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've seen guys clamming in Jamaica Bay which is a protected wildlife refuge that prohibits clamming, in full view of the Belt Parkway. Those shellfish are likely toxic. Absolutely no shame

Edited by Flukemaster12

Florida don't kid around, tourism is big business. These guys are probably getting fined huge. Some wise ass cut a snook up into smaller pieces, he was fined for multiple fish. 

On 2/28/2021 at 11:16 AM, Flukemaster12 said:

I've seen guys clamming in Jamaica Bay which is a protected wildlife refuge that prohibits clamming, in full view of the Belt Parkway. Those shellfish are likely toxic. Absolutely no shame

Those clams are harvested and then put down in racks in clean water, months later when cleaned out they are taken out and sold , called DEPURATION sp?

1 hour ago, pakalolo said:

Those clams are harvested and then put down in racks in clean water, months later when cleaned out they are taken out and sold , called DEPURATION sp?

I fish JayBay and all I can say is that not all those guys and girls clamming are putting them in racks. They are sold locally, pronto. Same with all the castnet Mullet chasers in the fall. They are legal but the net has to inside of 15' so I'm told. Most of this business is somewhat ethnically oriented. I see the clammers along the ocean side of GSB. not sure if it's legal there but they are right along Ocean Pkwy.

37 mins ago, JoeGBreezy said:

I fish JayBay and all I can say is that not all those guys and girls clamming are putting them in racks. They are sold locally, pronto. Same with all the castnet Mullet chasers in the fall. They are legal but the net has to inside of 15' so I'm told. Most of this business is somewhat ethnically oriented. I see the clammers along the ocean side of GSB. not sure if it's legal there but they are right along Ocean Pkwy.

When we worked in there  we delivered to the buyer each day, he trucked the product back east and dealt with the depuration. 

Chuck Steidel ran the operation, they were placed in racks just west of Robin's Island. He ran a huge operation with a 60 foot steel processing barge anchored at the north sea dock.