Pouring Ava jigs

Rate this topic

PSeggs

I've really enjoyed pouring weights and jigs. Does great things for my mental health.  

I saw Do-it makes a Ava mold and ordered one (1.5oz & 2oz).  I'm thinking of pouring it with tin but dang is that stuff pricey! Like $25 a lb.   But it is awesome. 

Anyone tried one of the high % tin alloys?  Quite a bit cheaper.  But I'm not sure how it would turn out.   

I have 2lbs of block tin. Plus around 100lbs of pure lead. I could mess around with alloying but wanted to hear anyones experiences before I go blowin cash into the wind.  

Eta.  Not looking to chrome plate.    Going towards tin for the shine and lighter density

Edited by PSegnatelli

41 mins ago, SC said:

I used to pour pure tin as well as 50/50 mix

How was the shinyness(i think thats a word:shrug:) of the 50/50?  Did it hold up at all?

Could always paint them but I just love shiney tin. I did just get some holographic tape.  

Tails I have tubing and can tie bucktails. 

17 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

How was the shinyness(i think thats a word:shrug:) of the 50/50?  Did it hold up at all?

Could always paint them but I just love shiney tin. I did just get some holographic tape.  

Tails I have tubing and can tie bucktails. 

I recall no luster on the 50/50, we had those plated. The pure tin was shined up best when rubbed with a glass bar stirrer, way better than steel wool or sand could ever do. I was pouring squids, not Ava Jigs, if that matters

Edited by SC

I've been using a dremel & various grits on my tins.   Can really get a mirror polish.  

Squid mold or Hopkins would be fun. I'll have to see if I can find one.  

I'd love to find a fixed hook wobble head eel jig mold. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

On 2/28/2021 at 1:01 PM, PSegnatelli said:

I've been using a dremel & various grits on my tins.   Can really get a mirror polish.  

I love messing with dremels too. I'm thinking you might be better off using the little white polishing puff things and some

polishing paste rather than grits of sandpaper?

1 hour ago, Seakarp said:

I love messing with dremels too. I'm thinking you might be better off using the little white polishing puff things and some

polishing paste rather than grits of sandpaper?

Thats what I do probably used the wrong word.  I think the tips are felt or something. Plus I have a set of compounds.  I also use it for stropping blades. 

71LzQOBfEZL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Edited by PSegnatelli

I pour squids and diamond jigs with lino lead and pure tin.  I just coat them with clear powder paint....3 coats.  I like the dulled shine of lino lead and tin better than chrome plating.  

What I really want to do is to pour squids in aluminum.  That should be interesting.

7 hours ago, KenY said:

I pour squids and diamond jigs with lino lead and pure tin.  I just coat them with clear powder paint....3 coats.  I like the dulled shine of lino lead and tin better than chrome plating.  

What I really want to do is to pour squids in aluminum.  That should be interesting.

Where did you get the squid jig molds? I've been lookin and can't find anything.   

Edited by PSegnatelli

35 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Where did you get the squid jig molds? I've been lookin and can't find anything.   

Got lucky and found one on the big auction site years ago.  Also found others on random for sale ads.

They don't make them commercially anymore I don't think.  Gotta go custom or keep hunting the for sale ads.

This is the shine of lino lead.  Gotta clear coat it or it will corrode when it hits salt water.

101798758_10157430343477076_742892232249603f967b8d20c_IMG_6607(2).JPG.3356448e9f759a83644ba15c327389cb.JPG

Edited by KenY

On 2/28/2021 at 8:58 AM, PSegnatelli said:

I've really enjoyed pouring weights and jigs. Does great things for my mental health.  

I saw Do-it makes a Ava mold and ordered one (1.5oz & 2oz).  I'm thinking of pouring it with tin but dang is that stuff pricey! Like $25 a lb.   But it is awesome. 

Anyone tried one of the high % tin alloys?  Quite a bit cheaper.  But I'm not sure how it would turn out.   

I have 2lbs of block tin. Plus around 100lbs of pure lead. I could mess around with alloying but wanted to hear anyones experiences before I go blowin cash into the wind.  

Eta.  Not looking to chrome plate.    Going towards tin for the shine and lighter density

Lead/tin alloys may show oxidation and change the action of your lure. 
A cheaper but not by much alternative would be tin bismuth. Not as heavy or dense as lead the rate of fall would be less than lead/tin.

And your jigs would still retain the luster. That said, bismuth is fragille and will certainly weaken your alloys. You would probably have to or should powder coat the finished jigs with clear coat.

I pour lots of tin bismuth and it’s a pain to work with, melts at lower temps , fragile. Hard to powder coat due to its melting temps, nothing like heating to cure the paint and finding bare hooks where jigs once were.

Not much cheaper than your pure tin at about $15 a pound. 

In use it because I fish out of state for SMB and LMB out of state a lot where non toxic is required. And hard to read 1500* with a Lee melting pot to pour tungsten.

I miss lead! 
If I need 1/4 oz jigs I’ll pour 5/16oz and that comes very close to lead. Yet a slower rate of fall. I’m guessing that in the heavier stuff that would translate the same. 
Slower rate of fall. Nice seductive flutter.

You already have tin so if you get bismuth you could play around with ratios to achieve what you want.

I don’t know but you could stretch your alloy even more by using tin some bismuth and some lead. By keeping the amount of lead down maybe you can avoided the oxidation.

Or use tin lead alloy and clear coat.

5 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

Lead/tin alloys may show oxidation and change the action of your lure. 
A cheaper but not by much alternative would be tin bismuth. Not as heavy or dense as lead the rate of fall would be less than lead/tin.

And your jigs would still retain the luster. That said, bismuth is fragille and will certainly weaken your alloys. You would probably have to or should powder coat the finished jigs with clear coat.

I pour lots of tin bismuth and it’s a pain to work with, melts at lower temps , fragile. Hard to powder coat due to its melting temps, nothing like heating to cure the paint and finding bare hooks where jigs once were.

Not much cheaper than your pure tin at about $15 a pound. 

In use it because I fish out of state for SMB and LMB out of state a lot where non toxic is required. And hard to read 1500* with a Lee melting pot to pour tungsten.

I miss lead! 
If I need 1/4 oz jigs I’ll pour 5/16oz and that comes very close to lead. Yet a slower rate of fall. I’m guessing that in the heavier stuff that would translate the same. 
Slower rate of fall. Nice seductive flutter.

You already have tin so if you get bismuth you could play around with ratios to achieve what you want.

I don’t know but you could stretch your alloy even more by using tin some bismuth and some lead. By keeping the amount of lead down maybe you can avoided the oxidation.

Or use tin lead alloy and clear coat.

Thank u.  Not planning to powder coat at this time.  

Do you know if the same restrictions are in place for saltwater?

I got the mold yesterday. So I'm excited to try it. 

• 2 weeks later...

1st pour

100% block tin.  

Do it mold.  Labeled 1.5oz & 2oz. 

Jigs weigh 1oz on the small and 1.5oz for larger.  

Stuck a variety of plastics to try out.  

I'm pretty happy with the results.  

Now I have to find a keeled squid mold!20210316_102426.jpg.5dc8cbc72a0f6a0094420549603da35e.jpg