DoorGunner

White perch today.

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Hard rain this morning to muddy up the water and a full moon on top of that. Cleared in the afternoon so I picked up some bloodworms and headed to a local creek for a February shot at the perch. Action wasn't fast but I did set the hook a few times and ended up with five worth filleting out. Any kind of decent weather and the run should be on.

603b1997d5c44_IMG_0330(2).JPG.9fa9dbc1ca267b5ab2df6cd75f5b3053.JPG

2 hours ago, coldclam said:

I hit my local spot at low tide aswell. 

Caught 6 and dropped a few more, got mine on a 1/8oz shad dart. Fun stuff on a ul setup. 

You tip the dart with anything or was it just bare?

In the past, ive added a tiny grub tail, but I'm not sure it makes all that much difference. It's more about covering water and locating the school.

4 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Can anyone definitively say whether or not perch can be live lined for stripers? I've never done it but I've heard mixed reports on the legality of the situation.

Wouldn't be my go to bait. Perch are just like croakers and when threatened flair out the gill plate with sharp points and edge. Seen stripers shy away from them because they can jam in their throats and kill them. Have done well with small croakers live by first using a heavy duty pair of scissors and holding a croaker so they lock their gill plate out and just cut it off. Still stay alive on the hook but you remove their only defense. 

One big surprise yesterday. While fishing the red winged blackbirds were singing their heads off to attract mates. Nothing unusual there but nice to hear. What did surprise me was there was a very noisy mud hen in the grass across from me calling it's head off. Never ever seen them around this early. 

30 mins ago, DoorGunner said:

One big surprise yesterday. While fishing the red winged blackbirds were singing their heads off to attract mates. Nothing unusual there but nice to hear. What did surprise me was there was a very noisy mud hen in the grass across from me calling it's head off. Never ever seen them around this early. 

Red-wing blackbirds are a harbinger of spring for me.

Would love to eat perch I catch them pretty frequently while fishing for stripers in the rivers during spring.I’m from north Jersey and the pollution worries me should I be persuaded differently? wouldn’t touch them out of the Passaic or Hackensack but maybe the Hudson 

8 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Can anyone definitively say whether or not perch can be live lined for stripers? I've never done it but I've heard mixed reports on the legality of the situation.

Done it a few times when I couldn't net any herring in the flume, only a few white perch

Had a bluefish chomp the tail off once, that's it

Thanks all. My friend swears back when we were kids his dad would live line perch in the Delaware River with great success. I guess maybe I should have mentioned the Delaware River part of this to enhance the conversation a bit. 

I've never had much luck on bunker in the river. I use bloodworms but a lot of local bait and tackles closed near me. Can get them from convenience or liquor stores sometimes. It got to the point where I was meeting a guy off facebook and buying blood worms off him like it was a messed up drug deal. Just looking for alternative baits really.

On 2/28/2021 at 2:20 PM, DoorGunner said:

I feel the groundhawg was wrong.   

I'm hearing many birds up here (CT) that I don't hear usually for a few more weeks. 

We may get a few more days of cold (like today) or a few more inches of snow, but winter is definitely on the way out. 

Anyone ever have an success on plain nightcrawlers for white perch?

Also, what size hooks?  I have some VMC size 1 circles. Too big? Look about the same size as a No.4 EagleClaw baitholder.    I'd like to stick with circles for bait.  Just in case I pick up a slot striper.