bronson

dunking old school bg30 or spin fisher 850ssm or 704

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

which would you use to dunk lots? planning to fish a spot that involve wading out and getting soaked.  I have these two reels laying around and don't wanna buy a new vs.   they only have to last about a month fishing twice a week.  plan to pack them with grease.....should I get an old 704 instead? 

They are both excellent reel and I own both the 850SSM and a 705... I have the 705 over 35 years soaked the reel over the years.. Easy maintenance after soaking.... I would go with your 704.. 

The beauty of old reel designs, like the Penn 704, is the ease with which they can be broken down, cleaned out and reassembled to function as good as new.

A 704 can be stripped, cleaned, lubed and assembled in under 30 minutes; start to finish.

And you can do this indefinitely.

Those old reels were not meant to be disposable.

They were made to be serviced and repaired.

Since it takes so little time/effort to perform this maintenance, don’t think in terms of only needing a reel to last a month.

Keep it clean/lubed/serviced and have it last you a lifetime.

It’s not hard at all.

On 2/28/2021 at 9:56 AM, valentine said:

The beauty of old reel designs, like the Penn 704, is the ease with which they can be broken down, cleaned out and reassembled to function as good as new.

A 704 can be stripped, cleaned, lubed and assembled in under 30 minutes; start to finish.

Since it takes so little time/effort to perform this maintenance, don’t think in terms of only needing a reel to last a month.

It’s not hard at all.

same as above. i use 704s pretty much exclusively and they get wet alot. i also dont want to buy a vs. they are all from the 70s and 80s and they are beat to hell on the outside but inside is still basically flawless. when something is built to have a relatively loose mechanical tolerances it can take much more punishment before it will fail. tons of grease inside and if you are handy drill some quick and dirty holes in the rotor cup to help sand flush, just be sure they are opposite each other to keep the balance right and debur the edges of the holes

On 2/28/2021 at 9:56 AM, valentine said:

It’s not hard at all.

What he said, VS could be similar but they make you take a mortgage out on special tools and replacement o rings/seals. The actual internals are similar to Penns Z's. Buy the Penn, save the BG for open beach fishing, better casting reel.