Johnnydeez89

Salt water vise up to 8/0

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Johnnydeez89 said:

Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a vise that can hold up to an 8/0 hook? 

Seriously .... You start tying flies 8/0 there are huge!

Don't need a tying vise.... Just use a bench vise and save!

16 hours ago, Johnnydeez89 said:

Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a vise that can hold up to an 8/0 hook? 

I use the confusingly designated Peak PRVLIRS-C1 (or Jurassic Rotary series LIRS #3) for tying bucktails with Mustad 3407 2X 8/0 hooks. Very well made, and holds them really tight.

4 hours ago, South Shore Squidder said:

I use the confusingly designated Peak PRVLIRS-C1 (or Jurassic Rotary series LIRS #3) for tying bucktails with Mustad 3407 2X 8/0 hooks. Very well made, and holds them really tight.

Thanks I'll check one it I was looking at a peak model but said it only held up 6/0 hooks. Thank yiu for specifying the models. 

5 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Seriously .... You start tying flies 8/0 there are huge!

Don't need a tying vise.... Just use a bench vise and save!

I'm gonna start tying salt water flies this year but before that I do a lot of buck tails with 8/0, 7/0 and 6/0. If only you could rotate a bench vise lol. 

839377CE-B20F-4326-9E57-070EB679BEE6.jpeg.0236af7c8e74a1c567c82c01c243c8b4.jpeg

that’s my Dyna-king Ultimate Indexer with a gamakatsu gorilla 10/0.  That’s also a sz 26 parachute sitting in the eye of the 10/0.  Both tied on the same jaws.  Great vise highly recommend it.

Griffin makes excellent vises which won’t break the bank.

I have a Regal and a Dyna King but the little Griffin is the only one which sits on my bench full time.

7 hours ago, valentine said:

Griffin makes excellent vises which won’t break the bank.

I have a Regal and a Dyna King but the little Griffin is the only one which sits on my bench full time.

Thank you ill check them out 

I have an older model Griffin 3AR, which I just received EXCELLENT service from them. This model was discontinued from their line up. I used it with hooks to 8/0. The jaws are 1/4 x 1/2 inch, and there is a #10 thumb screw to the rear, and a #8 about 5/8 inch from the less than 1/8 inch tapered nose. The dimensions and screws of this nearly hundred dollar vise in the early 90's does not offer the support needed for an 8/0 jig hook. I slightly stripped it doing so. I dropped the vise and a plastic tensioning screw (long since discontinued) broke. I emailed them on Sunday evening and literally 5 minutes after their doors opened on Monday morn I had a reply, and replacement parts from Montana to NY by Wednesday morn. FANTASTIC CUSTOMER SUPPORT!!! I make jigs to 10 oz. Using hooks to 10/0,  I copied their jig design with a mixture of wood and 1/8 inch aluminum plate. I increased the jaw size to 1/2 x 1 inch and then reduce the last 1 1/4 inch to 3/4inch then tapering to a 1/4 inch.Using PVC pipe and threaded rod or 5 inch long hex screws with wing nuts the jaws hold anything from #1 to 10/0, and up to 10 oz. In weight. I lent it out, and promised the good folks at Griffin a sample one. I'll get pictures up when I get started. Depending on your woodworking skills as little as a drill and a hack saw is all that's required.

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions after looking at a lot of reviews and all the suggested vices on this thread I decided to go with a Griffin mongoose just seems to be the best bang for your buck and pretty much has all I need in a vice. Thanks again everyone 

21 hours ago, Nekowa said:

I have an older model Griffin 3AR, which I just received EXCELLENT service from them. This model was discontinued from their line up. I used it with hooks to 8/0. The jaws are 1/4 x 1/2 inch, and there is a #10 thumb screw to the rear, and a #8 about 5/8 inch from the less than 1/8 inch tapered nose. The dimensions and screws of this nearly hundred dollar vise in the early 90's does not offer the support needed for an 8/0 jig hook. I slightly stripped it doing so. I dropped the vise and a plastic tensioning screw (long since discontinued) broke. I emailed them on Sunday evening and literally 5 minutes after their doors opened on Monday morn I had a reply, and replacement parts from Montana to NY by Wednesday morn. FANTASTIC CUSTOMER SUPPORT!!! I make jigs to 10 oz. Using hooks to 10/0,  I copied their jig design with a mixture of wood and 1/8 inch aluminum plate. I increased the jaw size to 1/2 x 1 inch and then reduce the last 1 1/4 inch to 3/4inch then tapering to a 1/4 inch.Using PVC pipe and threaded rod or 5 inch long hex screws with wing nuts the jaws hold anything from #1 to 10/0, and up to 10 oz. In weight. I lent it out, and promised the good folks at Griffin a sample one. I'll get pictures up when I get started. Depending on your woodworking skills as little as a drill and a hack saw is all that's required.

Would love to see photos of your build.

I have Griffin 3AR as well.

It is the Best bang for your buck fly vise that I ever saw.

Its good to know Griffin has great customer service.

Mine has never needed a thing.