small boat trailer

Rate this topic

I may need a small boat trailer for a small 13’ aluminum boat that I’m looking at. I’m hoping to find a decent used trailer. Boat, motor, battery and fuel should be well under 400 pounds. New ones start at $1300! Anyone have any ideas where to find a decent used one?

Edited by fishing bum wannabe

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” 

― Mark Twain

Been looking there, from maine to ri. Not many trailers and none for a small boat. My goal is to get a small, light outfit that can be launched at some of the less used ramps in more protected waters.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” 

― Mark Twain

Make sure whatever you buy either has a title or has been previously registered in Massachusetts! Small trailers in mass don’t need titles, but rmv won’t give you a plate without proof of previous registration or a title. And don’t get sucked into the “register it in Maine” BS. It might have worked in the past, not so much today. A bill of sale alone won’t get you a plate.

Edited by wrboz
Added info

2 hours ago, newcut said:

Bite the bullet. Serviceable used saltwater trailers range from non-existent to unicorn. Fishing is much more fun and you tend to go much more when you know you are going to make it to the ramp, and then back home, sans drama.

I have an old galvanized trailer. Replaced tires, lights, winch and rollers last year and still may buy a new one for the reason listed above. 

1 hour ago, Steel Pulse said:

If your going to launch in areas with small ramp or super shallow or just on the sand try and get a trailer that you can tilt like this one I built. You can drag boat up super easy in a 1/2” of water if need be 

4649989F-A2E6-4722-9B2C-21F61642F33E.jpeg

The Electric Ave ramp (Bourne town sticker) is so flat I would need to submerge my truck to launch it :) 

2 hours ago, ged said:

The Electric Ave ramp (Bourne town sticker) is so flat I would need to submerge my truck to launch it :) 

That right there is only an inch at low tide which that is. You can see the trailer tires are barely wet. The hand winch drags it thru the mud. I back in till water touchs the wheels. A long winch rope helps. 33 years with that boat I haven’t  met a launching site I couldn’t use, yet.  

Edited by Steel Pulse

what's the secret word for tonight

17 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

If your going to launch in areas with small ramp or super shallow or just on the sand try and get a trailer that you can tilt like this one I built. You can drag boat up super easy in a 1/2” of water if need be 

4649989F-A2E6-4722-9B2C-21F61642F33E.jpeg

Spot burn!!!!!!!

On 2/28/2021 at 0:11 AM, wrboz said:

Make sure whatever you buy either has a title or has been previously registered in Massachusetts! Small trailers in mass don’t need titles, but rmv won’t give you a plate without proof of previous registration or a title. And don’t get sucked into the “register it in Maine” BS. It might have worked in the past, not so much today. A bill of sale alone won’t get you a plate.

Long story, but I received an older non-registered trailer and plan to register it this spring.   It is for 19 foot boat.  Are you saying they won't allow me to register it cuz last owner didn't.   

1 hour ago, notime said:

Long story, but I received an older non-registered trailer and plan to register it this spring.   It is for 19 foot boat.  Are you saying they won't allow me to register it cuz last owner didn't.   

It’s not going to be fun registering it if you don’t have a title and bill of sale. It sucks even with those documents. You will also need a document from your auto insurance company.