Bjorn240

Montauk in August... bring a boat?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

At the risk of asking stupid questions....  

Family wanted to rent a house in Montauk for a couple weeks in August.  Fine by me.  I like the beach. 

I’ve got a 16’ Duxbury Dory with a 25hp.  Rental driveway is big enough and owner is ok with me parking the boat, it’s easy to trailer and I can splash it at the town ramp at Duryea Ave if I get a non-resident permit. 

Any reason -not- to bring the boat?  Thinking I would do a little morning fly fishing around Shagwong Point and maybe out at the lighthouse as the wind and tides permit.  

Edited by Bjorn240

It could  be helpful, though boat anglers do not always have the advantage in Montauk, especially when fish are tight against the rocks. I would certainly see what the wind is doing first before dealing with the hassle of trailering a boat there. While less likely in August, even a 10-15 knot north/easterly wind would make fishing from a 16 ft’er on the north side unpleasant.

It’s a 700 lbs boat behind a Land Cruiser, so towing it there isn’t much of a problem.  I’ll bring it, pick my days, and go out early.  And then hit the beach in the afternoons.  Thanks guys!  

A few reasons why not to do bring it from

what you wrote.

That’s a small boat for Montauk. Even on calm days the tide currents at both places you mentioned (Shagwong / Lighthouse area) can be strong and 25hp will not cut it against the strong tide. 

Second there is lots of fog in the morning and various parts of day that time of year . 

when conditions do warrant there are lots of big boats that do not slow down or mindful of their wakes, I hate to see you get into trouble. 

Be safe

Paul 

Hurricane season.  If you just intend to fish the north side of the south fork, go for it.   Heading around to the lighthouse ?    "Picking your days is the word."   On nice days the usually southerly wind picks up by 11.

There is a left turn that can be made when you go out the inlet. Its a whole new world, schoolies, cocktail blues, and a slew of bottom fish. Might be more cost efficient to launch at Gone fishing if you get back after they close have a fishing companion meet you at the West Lake ramp.

4 hours ago, Nekowa said:

There is a left turn that can be made when you go out the inlet. Its a whole new world, schoolies, cocktail blues, and a slew of bottom fish. 

It can be really mellow weather then.  The point can have Strong rip and wind and tides can be really dangerous. Very important in a boat that size is to follow the weather closely in terms of wind direction. WInds can change drastically from am to pm and depending on which way you head after leaving the inlet can mean a tough ride back. Be safe and have a blast. Big fluke, bass and blues.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks for the further feedback, intel, and well wishes for safety.  The idea of exploring Gardiner's Bay and the north side of the south fork inward toward Napeague Bay (the charts show plenty of little rock piles to explore) is a good one too.  Hopefully I'll have a couple of really flat days.   Thanks again.

Edited by Bjorn240

2 hours ago, spiderrico said:

Bring an 11 foot rod and cast bottle plugs anywhere on the north side have Fun 

Yup. Definitely packing a surfcasting rod and got the NYS 4x4 permit and the Camp Hero permit yesterday.   I sent away for the East Hampton town boat ramp permit today so I’ll have options!  

I seen guys out there on paddle boards on the north side fishing , and kayaks(hobies) by the lighthouse. Weather is everything. Just make the weather is good the week leading up to it.

Anything under 10knts is good, just be weary wind against tide makes it much more rough up there, especially NE and an outgoing.

But late summer It’s usually very nice in the morning but in the  afternoon those SW breezes come through and it gets a little bumpy with white caps so don’t get caught in that with a 25hp just in case. But that’s more Southside.

North side is usually beautiful in August besides the aforementioned NE/Outgoing. Good luck.