albacized

Redington Zero 2/3 weight reel

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hi all  - I recently picked up a Cabelas CGR glass rod, 5'9" 3 weight for an entry level start to dabbling with a small river/stream rod. I'm strongly considering the Redington Zero for the reel to match to this rod. I've read some reviews, with the worse being that it's a 'loud' reel and it scuffs up pretty easily...but that in terms of durability, it's a tank...especially for freshwater only use. Anyone here have anything to add before I make the purchase (likely tomorrow)?

I have to give Redington a shout out for a nice gesture (although I might have been equally as put off if they handled this any other way)...but anyway, I rec'd the reel in the mail and had to switch from left to right hand retrieve - The spring cap screw on so tight, I actually couldn't get it off the first day I tried (takes a small phillips head screw driver). I finally got it off, but the head of the screw was partially stripped.

I swapped the spring as directed and replaced the spring cap and screw, and the reel is now a right hand retrieve. I can't think of any reason I'd need to take the screw out again. However, given that I'm captain 'unforeseen problem', I called Redington to see if I could replace the screw. I gave them a brief, straight forward/high level version of the story (didn't wanted to accept blame or make an accusation, either way), they took my name and address - and a replacement is on it's way.

Like I said above, it wasn't a big deal and probably would've questioned their customer service practice if they had not done this...but it was a very pleasant exchange, without any arm twisting...In fact, I included 'how much would a replacement cost?' A price was never given, just a friendly 'we'll get one in the mail for you'

Cant comment on the Zero but I've had quite a few Redington's in the past twenty years. My impression...solidly made overseas reels with few problems and great customer service, great bang for the buck!

Sorry I'm late replying. I have the Zero in 4/5 wt on a Sage Foundation 4wt rod. Love the light weight, works fine the 2 years I've owned it. Good luck/tight lines!