doublegregg

anyone else drop a line in but don't really want to catch a fish?

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

lately i been going to a lake near my house. instead of going early at sunup, or at dusk, which is when, to my understanding, fish bite, i go in the afternoon, when it's beautiful and sunny and warm.  and there's a lot less likelihood fish are up for the bite.

it's pretty enjoyable, just trying out my new little lures and high vis line. i'm a newbie, having fished a bit as a young lad many decades ago. 

does anyone else just go to enjoy the sun, and really is not disappointed when they leave empty handed?  i feel like if i go when the fish are supposed to be biting, i am more disappointed , but if i go whenever i go --- i might find a fish on the line maybe annoying. 

i think part of my equation is how nice the lake is and that it's convenient to my house.

Edited by doublegregg

People go fishing for a lot of reasons. For some the tug is the drug, for others it's being out in nature, and for others it's stress relief. I just went fishing earlier today and didn't care that I skunked; it was nice being out and fishing open water. 

I LOVE catching fish. But really go just to be out there.  

Same with hunting.  Sometimes I just go, hang my hammock up and take nap. 

I would never say 'I don't really want to catch a fish'...but there are times I like to sort out life while I'm out fishing, and catching a fish sometimes almost feels like an interruption 

I think the OP is really a golfer who got his clubs mixed up at Basspro.

He thinks the lake is just a big hazard and doesn't really keep score. 

The sand trap next to the hazard is just par for the course.  :wee: 

6 mins ago, flylikabird said:

I think the OP is really a golfer who got his clubs mixed up at Basspro.

He thinks the lake is just a big hazard and doesn't really keep score. 

The sand trap next to the hazard is just par for the course.  :wee: 

Lots of us fisherman play both the grass and sand. I completely agree depending on the day, lol. 

I like fishing on the beach during the summer and watching the pretty women in swimsuits. The fishing is enjoyable too, but the beach I go to isn’t known for outstanding surf fishing.

I find sting rays are disappointing and I would rather watch bikinis than take rays off hooks.

There is not much point in putting a lot of thought into why you are fishing. What I miss most of all are the family and friends who passed on, moved away, or grew up that I used to fish with. In fact, I would say it’s mostly about being with those people fishing, more than it is fishing alone.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If I hike near water, or if I go kayaking without my fishing gear, I feel like I'm missing out on something (fishing). If I go fishing without catching, I feel like I missed out on something. I certainly don't judge anybody negatively for getting out in nature, though. If the resources aren't wasted and nobody gets hurt (that didn't willingly take that chance) I say have at it.

Edited by Livefreeordie
dont spell to gud