mafa94

13’ Surf Spinning Rod

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Wow, that's big just for lures. I use a 12' for bait and 10'-6" & 11' for lures. Curious as to why the need and/or want for 13'?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Used to fish a 12' Daiwa Emblem Surf (old darker model) on a Saltiga Surf 5000. Overall it depends on the blank that you're using and how well it will balance with the reel that you're using. Switched over to an 11-foot airwave elite. I lost maybe 20-30 yards of casting distance but that didn't really matter much too much if you're a good caster and can get your plug into the spot you want. Two rods that I can think of that would be a decent 13 footer are the Daiwa ballistic and CTS Vapor Trail which you would need to pair an Ultegra 14000 with assuming you're going for maximum distance.

But don't really see the need for a 13 footer unless there's a bass blitz 200 yards offshore or chasing the elusive "tuna blitz off the beach but I just couldn't reach them" with 3 - 4 oz metal jigs.

Edited by Inception
Name mixup

9 mins ago, Inception said:

Used to fish a 12' Daiwa Emblem Surf (old darker model) on a Saltiga Surf 5000. Overall it depends on the blank that you're using and how well it will balance with the reel that you're using. Switched over to an 11-foot airwave elite. I lost maybe 20-30 yards of casting distance but that didn't really matter much too much if you're a good caster and can get your plug into the spot you want. Two rods that I can think of that would be a decent 13 footer are the Daiwa ballistic and CTS Vapor Trail which you would need to pair an Ultegra 14000 with assuming you're going for maximum distance.

But don't really see the need for a 13 footer unless there's a bass blitz 200 yards offshore or chasing the elusive "tuna blitz off the beach but I just couldn't reach them" with 3 - 4 oz metal jigs.

I'm 52, and I've seen that only once in my life. Ironically, I was in a boat that day about a mile off shore, and watching it through binoculars, lol. 

3 mins ago, Fishtale7 said:

I'm 52, and I've seen that only once in my life. Ironically, I was in a boat that day about a mile off shore, and watching it through binoculars, lol. 

Been getting more and more recent. Had a fellow fishing a certain jetty with me this November and he thought he'd hooked a state record bass until it made a huge run and all he could do was lock down the drag and hold on for dear life. Thought it was a seal or shark until we saw a tuna jump 300 yards offshore after dumping all the line on his reel. Feel like tuna are pushing in closer and closer to shore each year.

33 mins ago, mafa94 said:

Hello fellow angels. I was wondering if anyone has experience with a 13’ surf spinning rod? Any recommendations. Not for bait fishing.

Are you positive you would like to use a 13-ft spinning rod for lures ?

HH

35 mins ago, mafa94 said:

Hello fellow angels. I was wondering if anyone has experience with a 13’ surf spinning rod? Any recommendations. Not for bait fishing.

What are you looking to throw 

Just now, AFMike said:

What are you looking to throw?

Me, 8 & bait with the 12', and anything 1oz to 3oz with the 10'-6 & 11'. Although, it's not about me. The OP is the one you should be asking. 

1 min ago, Fishtale7 said:

Me, 8 & bait with the 12', and anything 1oz to 3oz with the 10'-6 & 11'. Although, it's not about me. The OP is the one you should be asking. 

Replied to you by mistake...lol

50 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Are you positive you would like to use a 13-ft spinning rod for lures ?

HH

I used a 13’9” and a 14’ rod all the time.  Both are very light and can toss a 3 oz metal to the moon.  Love it

2 hours ago, mafa94 said:

Depends of your fishing type…....

I am using 13ft FMA rod every morning (during the vacation time) because I am throwing lures and looking for distance over 200 yards. I want be able to get a nice distance with 7ft or 10ft rod. 13 foot rod is a must....... I am enjoying throwing lures for 4 hours (before my breakfast) and I don’t see other length of the rod for my fishing. Sometimes I skip the brekfast to get more enjoyment. If I could I will stay all day long on the beach with my lovely 13 footer. 

1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

I used a 13’9” and a 14’ rod all the time.  Both are very light and can toss a 3 oz metal to the moon.  Love it

Oh okay, if that works it works.

HH