Catfish20

Lightweight Surf Setup for Tarpon

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi, New to the forum here!

Planning to get a new set up for the upcoming tarpon season here in central Florida. I've been reading through a bunch of threads on on here for a while trying to figure it out and finally decided on posting. Previously I've used the Dark Matter OB with a Ballistic 6K which is great for casting small lures and it is super light. I've been able to land big fish over a 100 lbs with it but it doesn't have nearly enough power and is hard on the fish. 

I'll be using 40 lb braid and casting lures between 3/4 oz up to 2.5 oz max and most heavier set ups I've looked at doesn't seem to cast the smaller stuff very well. I'm willing to spend up to a $1000 on a combo. I've been looking at the Saragosa 8K for the reel but it is on the heavy side. I got wrist issues and can't cast heavy set ups all day. The VR150 is a lot lighter and might be the way to go? Seems like the reel selection is pretty limited while the rod is endless. Not planning on dunking the reel or anything but some sealing is nice.

As for the rod I'm looking for a 10fter. So many options out there its hard to decide without getting my hands on any of them. I've been looking through Century, Lamiglas and a bunch of other top brands, but without getting a feel I have no idea what the difference really is. No tackle shops around here carry many decent surf gear. 

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

58 mins ago, Catfish20 said:

Hi, New to the forum here!

Planning to get a new set up for the upcoming tarpon season here in central Florida. I've been reading through a bunch of threads on on here for a while trying to figure it out and finally decided on posting. Previously I've used the Dark Matter OB with a Ballistic 6K which is great for casting small lures and it is super light. I've been able to land big fish over a 100 lbs with it but it doesn't have nearly enough power and is hard on the fish. 

I'll be using 40 lb braid and casting lures between 3/4 oz up to 2.5 oz max and most heavier set ups I've looked at doesn't seem to cast the smaller stuff very well. I'm willing to spend up to a $1000 on a combo. I've been looking at the Saragosa 8K for the reel but it is on the heavy side. I got wrist issues and can't cast heavy set ups all day. The VR150 is a lot lighter and might be the way to go? Seems like the reel selection is pretty limited while the rod is endless. Not planning on dunking the reel or anything but some sealing is nice.

As for the rod I'm looking for a 10fter. So many options out there its hard to decide without getting my hands on any of them. I've been looking through Century, Lamiglas and a bunch of other top brands, but without getting a feel I have no idea what the difference really is. No tackle shops around here carry many decent surf gear. 

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

10' Century Surf Machine 3/4-4oz,  amazing distance with tons of power. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

10' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 3/4 oz - 4 oz or 10'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Nano 3/4 oz - 4 oz rods.  

Lydia and Mike Basnite landed tarpon upto 200 -250 lb using 10'6" Black Hole Cape Cod Nano rods.

Edited by ksong

I have a few that are built for that specific purpose, but everyone has their own preferences. I have a GSB 108-1M paired with a tranx that I can fish all day. it weighs next to nothing, and keeps me in the game when everything starts to hurt. I have a certate 5k on the same blank and while I wouldn't hesitate to target tarpon with it, there's definitely a class of fish on our beaches that I wouldn't want to tangle with. For our average fish (65-100lbs), it would be fine, but you'd have to break a fish off occasionally.

I have a 10' monster mag and a CTS vapor trail for sportier conditions. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, AFMike said:

10' Century Surf Machine 3/4-4oz,  amazing distance with tons of power. 

Do you know anywhere I can try out this rod? Saw you guys talking about it on the other thread and seems like a fun rod to fish with. Doesn’t seem to be available online and the Century website has no info. Thanks!

Edited by Catfish20

Both great recommendations and great brands of rods...can’t go wrong with Century or BH models listed...the Strped bass special is probably the best value, the Surf Machine the top performer. Two different budgets.