suntzu

Winter Flounder

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

What’s the preferred method of catching these fish? Are these the same flounder that come from deep offshore areas to spawn in rivers and the like? 

Yes. Sunny days, shallow water, slack tide, sand worms and mussels. I typically don’t have luck until mid March, best bet is early April. With a two fish limit its hard to get motivated to put in a strong effort 

I always tell myself one day I'm going to try. It's just tough to get myself down to the shore instead of taking advantage of the brief window stripers show up in my local waters

I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.  Going to try bucktails, gulp, and gulp sandworms. Also going to throw out Sabiki rig and try to catch herring.

On 3/5/2021 at 10:44 PM, BillHoo said:

I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.  Going to try bucktails, gulp, and gulp sandworms. Also going to throw out Sabiki rig and try to catch herring.

Let us know how you do, might give it a try this week just to be out there since it’s gonna be beautiful weather for a change. 

9 hours ago, pricise10 said:

Let us know how you do, might give it a try this week just to be out there since it’s gonna be beautiful weather for a change. 

Got skunked! Fish from 6 a.m. to 8:30 jigging for Herring and Flounder. No luck. Game warden stopped me and chitchated

Posted (edited) · Report post

A guy out on the pier when I got there said he had been fishing for three days and got nothing.  At least the wind died down, he added.

He was tossing out clams  and going into the car to warm up.  When I saw the catfish bell on his rod start to jingle, I called him out.  Turned out to be a crab.

I was getting similar jiggles on my unattended rods.

On day 1, he was going on one of the party boats and decided to fish the dock at the marina before boarding.  Said he hooked onto a huge striper.  As he was pulling it up, it broke off.

Weather was cloudy, 32F.  Looked like the sun wanted to come out, but some wind and clouds swept in.

I was there as the tide was incoming and got nothing.  Lost three flounder rigs.  At 7:30 I moved over to the floating dock and fished there too.  Got a snag and lost another flounder rig.  When it started SNOWING, I gave up.

Edited by BillHoo

On 3/5/2021 at 10:47 PM, suntzu said:

Good luck. I am going flounder fishing next Friday 

Waiting to hear you you do!

Hope you're better than my last trip!

1 min ago, BillHoo said:

Waiting to hear you you do!

Hope you're better than my last trip!

Might give it try this week. 

8 mins ago, Kings over Queens said:

Old haunts?  I miss Flounder fishing.  Man, we had a lot of fun back in the day. 

Didn’t get out yet but soon It was alot of fun