coastalfreak

1000 or 2000 size spinning reel suggestions

37 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. 

I have a St. Croix Premier 6’6” Light that I love to death. Currently have a little Shakespeare navigator reel, probably around a 1500 size...? on it and while it’s been a great little reel, I definitely want to upgrade as I continue to refine my techniques and styles. 

Most of the fishing I do with this rod involves worms under floats and on drop shot rigs for panfish and small bass, as well as small plastics on jig heads and spinners for those same species. I occasionally use the setup in saltwater for saltwater panfish like Pinfish, croaker, etc. 

I’m wondering if a 1000 or 2000 size spinning reel would be a better match for this rod. 

Currently, I’m looking at reels like the Quantum Energy, Pflueger President Limited, Shimano Sahara/Sedona, daiwa exceler, etc. I’ve always fished penn in saltwater but I know that freshwater is a different game in terms of weight and refinement and such. 

Any suggestions? Looking to spend 100 dollars or less. I’d also like the reel to be (relatively) saltwater friendly for the few times I do use it in the salt. I’d probably fish 6 Ib mono or 8-10 Ib braided. 

Thanks! 
CF

CF, take a look a Pfleuger President XT. Great little reel for around $80. At the $100 pricepoint range, it is one of the best you’ll find. 

17 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Hello everyone. 

I have a St. Croix Premier 6’6” Light that I love to death. Currently have a little Shakespeare navigator reel, probably around a 1500 size...? on it and while it’s been a great little reel, I definitely want to upgrade as I continue to refine my techniques and styles. 

Most of the fishing I do with this rod involves worms under floats and on drop shot rigs for panfish and small bass, as well as small plastics on jig heads and spinners for those same species. I occasionally use the setup in saltwater for saltwater panfish like Pinfish, croaker, etc. 

I’m wondering if a 1000 or 2000 size spinning reel would be a better match for this rod. 

Currently, I’m looking at reels like the Quantum Energy, Pflueger President Limited, Shimano Sahara/Sedona, daiwa exceler, etc. I’ve always fished penn in saltwater but I know that freshwater is a different game in terms of weight and refinement and such. 

Any suggestions? Looking to spend 100 dollars or less. I’d also like the reel to be (relatively) saltwater friendly for the few times I do use it in the salt. I’d probably fish 6 Ib mono or 8-10 Ib braided. 

Thanks! 
CF

I’m partial to Shimano. I like the Sahara for the money. 

25 mins ago, Mack26 said:

CF, take a look a Pfleuger President XT. Great little reel for around $80. At the $100 pricepoint range, it is one of the best you’ll find. 

2x

48 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Definitely one of my considerations, I’ve heard great things about them. I’ve used the standard President but not the higher models from Pflueger. 

13 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Definitely one of my considerations, I’ve heard great things about them. I’ve used the standard President but not the higher models from Pflueger. 

Pflueger has been known for weak bail springs. Ask me how I know :laugh:.

6 mins ago, Mack26 said:

I’ve used the 20 size for years with very few issues. Love them for ice fishing.

74C7EDB7-8E19-4A3A-83FA-6687D09C6931.jpeg

my old patriarch xt. went thru 4 bail spring in 1 season :cry:. The reel was ultra smooth other then that. Great drag. But those springs was getting annoying to change. So I finally went with a shamano 

20151214_152431.jpg

I have been using Pflueger reels for years. They've been very reliable although the bail springs need replaced from time to time and not usually at a convenient moment. I would not suggest using any of the models made with magnesium frames (Pflueger Supreme) in saltwater. I've heard bad things happen with mixing saltwater and those type reels.

I have a 7' St Croix Avid Med Light that I use for Steelhead, and I have a Penn Conflict II 2500 on it. Its a great all-around reel with smooth drag and would be versatile to use in the salt. Unfortunately its out of your price range unless you catch a sale.

1 min ago, Redneck Tourist said:

I have been using Pflueger reels for years. They've been very reliable although the bail springs need replaced from time to time and not usually at a convenient moment.

It got so bad @ 1 point. I was carrying spare springs around. replacing them in the field :laugh:

1 min ago, vce12342000 said:

It got so bad @ 1 point. I was carrying spare springs around. replacing them in the field :laugh:

I replaced the spring on my Patriarch and it was never quite right after that. The bail wouldn't stay open long enough to cast half the time. I finally sold it and bought a Shimano Stradic. Problem solved.

Just now, Redneck Tourist said:

I replaced the spring on my Patriarch and it was never quite right after that. The bail wouldn't stay open long enough to cast half the time. I finally sold it and bought a Shimano Stradic. Problem solved.

same here. I noticed the new springs wasnt lasting as long for some reason. So I just kept it as my spare in my service vehicle in case I want to fish a new spot I pass . I purchased a shimano stella. Its been a solid performer. 

Another great suggestion if you can come up in your budget about $20, is the Lew’s Custom Pro Speed Spin. I absolutely love this reel at the pricepoint, and it performs at a level much higher than its price. Highly recommend. 

386F7EB2-8D0F-4FF9-91E8-0725BBC851E3.jpeg

On 2/6/2021 at 8:49 AM, Redneck Tourist said:

All that fishing you do is wearing out your gear.......lol. Pfluegers are great but seem to have bail-spring issues. My President LE is starting to have that problem and it's only been used off and on from 2016 till now. 

I agree with yaa.