Iswann1993

tips on taking pictures by yourself?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

i know this is a long shot but does anyone have any advice on taking pictures quick and effectively while fishing by yourself . fish alone 99% any fish that aren't worth taking pictures of i instantly release. with all these catch and release tournaments now, when i catch a trophy fish i would love to capture a memory. any tips on cameras or tips on how anyone else gets there shot done fast to make sure the fish isnt out the water long.

I generally shove my foot into the frame of the shot for a size reference.

because it’s a colossal waste of time to take a photo of a fish outta water thats large enough to take a photo of, i’d rather get them beck in the water asap and try to catch more

17 mins ago, Iswann1993 said:

i know this is a long shot but does anyone have any advice on taking pictures quick and effectively while fishing by yourself . fish alone 99% any fish that aren't worth taking pictures of i instantly release. with all these catch and release tournaments now, when i catch a trophy fish i would love to capture a memory. any tips on cameras or tips on how anyone else gets there shot done fast to make sure the fish isnt out the water long.

The pic in my avatar does exactly what you are looking for.  You can email me at mobileweighstation.com and I would be more than happy to show you what I created/use.

My wife taught me to use a voice command, she uses 'smile' - makes people turn heads when in public. Works on Androids ...

Chest mount phone holder... Or go pro 

Put it in the highest video res your phone has.. Hold it out.. Pic a frame for the photo.. 

Works great for fish under 28"

Any other way involved extra time and setup 

A manfroto compact tripod and phone holder or one with the bendy legs could work if you want to put it down.. 

Voice command for the snap or video. 

Just lay the fish next to the rod.  If you want to be more specific about sizes you can mark certain lengths on it with tape.  I generally mark 28 36 and 45 on my surf rods (and never use that last one).

When out on the beach shark fishing, I use small tripod that holds camera or IPhone...just set timer, aim, and say cheese lol Or just use timer in phone to take pic without tripod, which I do for bass fishing...can place phone anywhere...I lean next to a rock or my truck or any such support. I also have a small bluetooth camera remote button for the phone...very cheap and works great...just press button...presto! 

8A7DF485-FAE6-4AEC-B267-F40127C16F4D.jpeg.621b6c469b4899c8bbdf99375c09885d.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Good Thread and Question.  It's fun taking pictures of our avocation. The fish don't mind; nor are they harmed done right.  Here is what helps me:

I have an iPhone Ap (for free), which allows me to program any amount of delay-- up to 60 seconds.  The max 10 second delay IPhone gives you is just too short for solo fish selfies.  The Ap can also be programmed to fire off even up to 6 rapid sequence photos so you can move the subject around .  IMO, it is okay if you cut off your own head; but a destroyed picture if you cut off the head or tail of the FISH!

Remember, for a night photo, because the flash is only on one side, you do not have the luxury to reverse the picture taking to the selfie screen.

JITTERBUG CATFISH.JPG

IMG_8307.JPG

Blodgett 6 in. Bass.JPG

Edited by sauerkraut

They make smarthphone cases with kickstands built in. Figure out how to set your phone on a timer and get in the shot. I advice trying it out at home because this can be tough to figure out in the dark on the rocks.

I have used my bag to prop the phone but nearly lost it as it slid down the rock

8 hours ago, ozifish said:

Neck holder

s-l1600.jpg

Chest mounts have more straps, but most are able to adjust the camera angle.  Without it, some ladies would be taking pictures of the sky.  Without the extra straps, the phone swings away when you bend over.

Back when I used to do a ton of kayak fishing, I added a Scotty camera mount to kayak. I’d attach my go pro which had a floaty cover attached, Incase the go pro broke off the mount, it would float.

Then I’d use the go pro remote control, that had a lanyard around my neck or pfd. With the camera mount I had I could turn the camera any direction. Soon as I would have a fish on, I’d hit the remote, go pro would either start recording or shoot continuous pix.

If you fish from land, same concept would work, just use a tripod for the go pro along with the go pro remote.