Spigola

Circle hook questions

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Hope someone is courteous enough to help this grizzled old grouch out.

I will be going back to tossing snot off the beach this year.  I have all my gear ready, rod - reel - lines - fish finder etc.  Only problem is I am trying to figure out which circle hook will be better, a hook with a turned down eye or a straight eye.  Also which size do you guys prefer for fishing clam?  I like to attach hooks to a leader using an old fashioned snell.  However, I am also open to using Palomar knots for tying hooks to leaders.

Can I get some input from the snot experts out there?

Thanks.

Spig

hey spig, hope all is well, i have been using circles almost since they came out, eye up , eye down imo no difference, circles when fishing slimeys hook up ratio far better plus most fish lip hooked, leader 16 to 20 in depending on conditions,me i always tie a palomar at the hook and the swivel, 40 plus yrs of fishing the knot has never failed me, good luck and tight lines

3 hours ago, Spigola said:

Thanks bugs.  Any particular size for clams?

5, 6 7/0 depending on the size fish running, there were times when I used 10 /0s 

I don't like the inline circle hooks. I like the regular circle hooks I saw eagle claw has new circle hooks coming out with a barb at the top I think which looks smart

11 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

I don't like the inline circle hooks. I like the regular circle hooks I saw eagle claw has new circle hooks coming out with a barb at the top I think which looks smart

U may not like inlines but inlines are the law.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

26 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

U may not like inlines but inlines are the law.  

That's dumb. I've been using offset circle hooks for years. I didn't even realize that was suddenly not considered a legal circle hook. This state seriously blows. It didn't even occur to me that it would be specifically inline circle hooks. I've never gut hooked a fish with offset circle hooks. Government overreach at its finest. Thanks for the heads up I guess. I actually have the inline circle hooks and was about to order the ones I usually use since I'm out of them but I guess I get to save a few bucks now, albeit by force.

Edited by hurricane1091

53 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

That's dumb. I've been using offset circle hooks for years. I didn't even realize that was suddenly not considered a legal circle hook. This state seriously blows. It didn't even occur to me that it would be specifically inline circle hooks. I've never gut hooked a fish with offset circle hooks. Government overreach at its finest. Thanks for the heads up I guess. I actually have the inline circle hooks and was about to order the ones I usually use since I'm out of them but I guess I get to save a few bucks now, albeit by force.

Not just NJ but the whole east coast.    Sucks but it is what it is.  

I have alot of offset circles.  I'm gonna see if I can straighten em in my vise and see if it affected the strength at all.  

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

Not just NJ but the whole east coast.    Sucks but it is what it is.  

I have alot of offset circles.  I'm gonna see if I can straighten em in my vise and see if it affected the strength at all.  

It would probably be fine. I am curious to see if this gets enforced. I am sure many still use J hooks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I always preferred inlines due to the toenail being in-line with the hook shank.....straight pull / hook-up in the corner of the jaw....never have a problem, especially with eels as the toenail keeps'em from unhooking themselves most of the time......clams, now that another animal, should be good to go.....I also prefer the off-set eye for a snell rather than a straight eye and a clinch knot....omo.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

1 hour ago, hurricane1091 said:

It would probably be fine. I am curious to see if this gets enforced. I am sure many still use J hooks.

Gonna be like traffic laws IMO. And sometimes that stop leads to a felony charge. 

2 hours ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

Just to give you guys a heads up too I have read that you can't tip a bucktail with pork now either.  Only if that bucktail has a circle hook. 

True enough, for now. They are looking at the definition of “bait.” You can use tidal tails or other plastics on your bucktails.

Snag and drop is over too. You can snag and bunker but would have to reel it in and transfer to circle hook.  That might be a good thing. Hopefully less roving gangs of

muggers.