Cadman T

3D Printed Reel Parts and Tools

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Anyone on here 3D print parts for use in fishing reels? I have made some special tools I needed to take apart and clean the reels for my fishing club members. I have two questions.

#1 The first is does anyone have a set of the special sockets you need to take off the sideplates off of a Daiwa Exist LT?  Apparently there is a tool(s) for the L.H. Side and the R.H side. I don't need the tool, but I would like some measurements so I can make shift one.

#2. Would anyone be interested if I posted the 3d parts/tool I made on this forum with pictures?

If this is not a problem and not against forum policy, I would be willing to post pics of what I've done and help guys if they have questions.  ADMIN or MODERATORS please advise

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, Cadman T said:

Would anyone be interested if I posted the 3d parts/tool I made on this forum with pictures?

I'd not mind, but what I'd REALLY like to see is...
you use it to pop out a couple Penn crosswind blocks pt# 43-720  for their 720's and 720z'a *s*

Edited by Shhh....Now

Buy an alu tube and just cut notches to fit.  then 2 holes on the opposite side to run a screwdriver through for leverage..

You could use steel but figure alu is softer and won't scratch

(I had daiwa's tools for the bgmq before I had to give em back...they were steel)

Reach out to Bearing Bad Tool on the interwebs...he's easy to find on social media.

Tell him Tackle Advisors sent ya...

Can almost guarantee he has all the measurements written in 5 different languages :)

On 2/27/2021 at 10:17 AM, Shhh....Now said:

you use it to pop out a couple Penn crosswind blocks pt# 43-720  for their 720's and 720z'a *s*

See my reply to cadman...........I'm sure ernie would be stoked to try that on his new cnc.

7 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Buy an alu tube and just cut notches to fit.  then 2 holes on the opposite side to run a screwdriver through for leverage..

You could use steel but figure alu is softer and won't scratch

(I had daiwa's tools for the bgmq before I had to give em back...they were steel)

Reach out to Bearing Bad Tool on the interwebs...he's easy to find on social media.

Tell him Tackle Advisors sent ya...

Can almost guarantee he has all the measurements written in 5 different languages :)

Scooby,

I can pretty much 3d print anything currently within an 8" sq platform. The nice thing about the plastic it doesn't scratch any metal or painted surfaces with-in reason. I know who Bad Bearing tool is. I have purchased from him before.

On 2/27/2021 at 9:17 AM, Shhh....Now said:

Anything that has friction points is not really a good item to 3d print especially if I was to make it for someone. I definitely can make it if I had the part and or the dimensions. My only concern would be how long the part would last if it is applied inside a reel.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here are some items . The first item is a 10mm and 12mm handle nut wrench. I used to use a metal nut driver with tape on the inside to keep from scratching the finished nuts that go on the end of reel handles. It works really well. Then on picture 2 this was my second revision of pic one. I made a tool that has 10mm on one side and 12mm on the other side. Now I have one tool with two different sizes. If I want a 11 and a 13mm I can just make that one or any combination.

BWWFs1ym.jpgNxDs59am.jpg

Edited by Cadman T

Then this past week, I was cleaning some Shimano Stradic CI4+ 2500 spinning reels. The rotor nut is recessed in between two sets of bosses (Pic 1) and I tried a box wrench, deep socket  and an open end wrench. The box wrench and the socket didn't grab the nut deep enough because of the bosses and the open end wrench, started to scratch the face of the rotor. So I made a tool (Pic 2) that fit over the shaft, in between the bosses and right over the nut. It works very well and no damage to the brass nut or the rotor face.

ui6tKAXm.jpgLmm9tcBm.jpg

54 mins ago, Cadman T said:

Scooby,

I can pretty much 3d print anything currently within an 8" sq platform. The nice thing about the plastic it doesn't scratch any metal or painted surfaces with-in reason. I know who Bad Bearing tool is. I have purchased from him before.

I agree,

But some are tighter than others. Been in more than my share of MQ daiwa reels.

I'm not sure of the shearing load a 3d printed part can withstand.  

an aluminum pipe with the appropriate wall thickness and diameter could go from pipe to useable tool in minutes.....Round the edges and ensure a good fit and no damage will occur.

As mentioned...Daiwa Tools the ones used at daiwa's facilities are steel.  (not even a pipe)

I tried to keep em, but they were the only one's they had in the country.

I have smaller ones for exist/ certates...made from alu.  A generous Aussie gave it to me with his exist.

Ernie is a great dude....I sent him measurements, and gave him an idea of how to make a all in one tool using pins.  Not sure if he built it.

2 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I agree,

But some are tighter than others. Been in more than my share of MQ daiwa reels.

I'm not sure of the shearing load a 3d printed part can withstand.  

an aluminum pipe with the appropriate wall thickness and diameter could go from pipe to useable tool in minutes.....Round the edges and ensure a good fit and no damage will occur.

As mentioned...Daiwa Tools the ones used at daiwa's facilities are steel.  (not even a pipe)

I tried to keep em, but they were the only one's they had in the country.

I have smaller ones for exist/ certates...made from alu.  A generous Aussie gave it to me with his exist.

Ernie is a great dude....I sent him measurements, and gave him an idea of how to make a all in one tool using pins.  Not sure if he built it.

Scooby,

I was actually looking for the Exist reel tools. I believe there is one for the right side and one for the left side. The tool I made for the handle nut cap and the rotor nut, have held up with no problems. I took a brass nut on a brass shaft, and torqued it down so tight I started to gall the threads. I have not had one tool break yet. The nice thing about 3d printing is if I need a tool today, I can design one in a couple of hours, 3d print it in another hour and start working on my reels, without spending $40.00 for a tool and waiting for them to ship it.

16 mins ago, Cadman T said:

Here are some items . The first item is a 10mm and 12mm handle nut wrench. I used to use a metal nut driver with tape on the inside to keep from scratching the finished nuts that go on the end of reel handles. It works really well. Then on picture 2 this was my second revision of pic one. I made a tool that has 10mm on one side and 12mm on the other side. Now I have one tool with two different sizes. If I want a 11 and a 13mm I can just make that one or any combination.

BWWFs1ym.jpgNxDs59am.jpg

That's cool.

I started using Roro's trust wrench and nylon wrench...The trust is a combi aluminum wrench as is the nylon wrench.  I think they retail for 10$ total for the pair.  The company sent me them gratis.    Great when rushing about and not having to worry about scratching anything.  Perform as good as expensive ones.  The nylon one doesn't handle heavy loads, good for retightening.  Wrench gives out before threads :) 

Knipex pliers wrench in their smallest size.....with lapped jaws ground smooth.  Works exceptionally well in situations that you came across with the stradic.  

A deeper version of what you made would work wonders for long cast reels as the rotor retaining nut is deep in the well...Only way to get at it is to use a hollow nut driver or a deep socket and a wrench on the socket.

Scooby,

Since I'm and engineer, I can draw all of my own parts, and then I can translate them so my 3d printer can read the code. I have made many small tools for several guys that needed something special for certain reel applications. It is a win win for me.

For the 2500 exist /certate lt. 

They are the same size on each size. 

A shop sent me an exist with a broken stem.. Swapped all parts from one to the other 

20210301_203100.jpg