Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cheech

Is it really ‘fishing’ when using high tech electronics?

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was watching a Bassmaster tourney today and it made me wonder. A hunter sees his game, pulls a trigger or lets an arrow fly. On the tourney today guys were staring at screens, watching their bait into a fishes mouth and lifting up to set a hook. There were no fishing skills involved, a 10 yr old kid could do this!
  Is this ‘true’ fishing, hunting or playing a video game?

Edited by cheech
Spell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same thoughts yesterday as I watched the last round of MLF. Taping the Bassmaster Elite right now. I do enjoy watching but it is all gimmicked out. You are correct, they seldom look where they are going to cast. Always focused on the screen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to money, everything is in the game! For 20 years fished salmon derbies in NY on Lake Ontario's eastern basin. Small boat hand crank downriggers, flashers and cut bait; then evolution came; Boats with 3-4 scanners, probes for speed and temp, cameras , electric downriggers, then digital programmed. Boats had side scanners and equipment so good that you mark fish at 200' depth. Copper wire line on electric reels, Derbies were paying out 10 places and 1st place plus Calcutta's  made it a crazy time. It got so bad tourneys made boats have a spotter on each boat for reporting shorts or purposely knocking of fish in your 5 fish bag limit. Everything was supposed to be secretive about your markings. Till you weighed in and had to give co-ordinates verified by spotter. Only to find out the next day guys were getting our marks from weigh in table.  As far as bass stuff on tv I have a hard time with electronics as mentioned. You have pre fish days to do your homework,

Copy of The boat002.jpg

Image001.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree with the fact that the use of electronics has gone too far in fishing tournaments. I’m all for using electronics to locate bait fish and structure. I don’t believe fishing completely blind and relying on stupid luck to catch fish is really considered skillful either. But to use high tech electronics to actually “see” a fish and place a bait near its mouth and watch it eat is something else entirely. No way can this be considered “fishing” in my opinion. It’s been a long time since I watched a bass tournament on television. I had no idea this kind of sh-t was going on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 mins ago, Hook I said:

nothing like a good side cheating machine to help you catch fish :shaky:

 

It's forward facing LIVE sonar that's breaking the sport now - Livescope changed the game. Finding fish is one thing, watching how they react to your bait is something else entirely. This is traditional video game fishing on 2D sonar (been around for decades) cast out in any direction, and you're no longer limited to vertical presentations. 

 

Poor hummingbird pros were the only ones not using ff sonar...pretty sure HB will come out with their version of livescope next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, buddha162 said:

 

It's forward facing LIVE sonar that's breaking the sport now - Livescope changed the game. Finding fish is one thing, watching how they react to your bait is something else entirely. This is traditional video game fishing on 2D sonar (been around for decades) cast out in any direction, and you're no longer limited to vertical presentations. 

 

Poor hummingbird pros were the only ones not using ff sonar...pretty sure HB will come out with their version of livescope next year. 

got to be in the game if you want to win money $$$ no question about it , if you don't have the cheating machines & knowledge your not going to qualify , its like playing BB in Chuck Taylor sneakers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flip n Dip said:

I have to agree with the fact that the use of electronics has gone too far in fishing tournaments. I’m all for using electronics to locate bait fish and structure. I don’t believe fishing completely blind and relying on stupid luck to catch fish is really considered skillful either. But to use high tech electronics to actually “see” a fish and place a bait near its mouth and watch it eat is something else entirely. No way can this be considered “fishing” in my opinion. It’s been a long time since I watched a bass tournament on television. I had no idea this kind of sh-t was going on!

 

I wouldn't call being electronics free fishing reliance on stupid luck.

 

Using lures to probe structure and depths, studying fish biology, learning to read water, and paying attention to forage are all key skills that will allow you to hook up.

 

Often times before I fish a new section of lake on my kayak I will gauge the depths at staggered distances using line and a sinker. I can locate the drop offs and weed bed transitions that way. It doesn't take to long to develop a mental map of an area that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That FF live sonar will become the standard at some point. I’d like to see those guys out there sans electronics. 
 If you blindly drop an artificial or bait over the side, you fish by feel. If your staring at a screen, your fishing by sight. Reminds me of the arcade crane and claw  games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never payed attention to different tournaments, but maybe there should be a series of electronics free tournaments mixed in with the regular tournaments.

 

Success on the electronics free tournaments would count more for points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few older pros pushing back against FF sonar tech but they are lone voices in the wilderness, and most of them are set up with FF systems now too just to compete. In pro bass fishing it's already the standard. Some HB pros got caught with Garmin livescopes in the mix last few tournaments and HB came down hard. I'd like to see tournaments limited to just 2D/side scan but hard not to take Garmin/Lowrance/HB money if you're running a tournament or a sponsored pro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a middling angler who invested in livescope couple years ago - pretty sure his electronics is worth 2x that of his tin boat. 

 

Guy who struggled catching a couple of keepers a trip for years and years in NJ now routinely catches a limit and culls too. He might've pulled more 4+ LM out of a predominantly SM lake than anyone else in the last year, and yes he was targeting them on livescope. When the price drops on FF sonar and everyone has one it'll be interesting to see how the fish responds and what techniques really start shining. My guess is a lot of the super finesse Japanese stuff will come into play more esp outside of prespawn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

 

I wouldn't call being electronics free fishing reliance on stupid luck.

 

Using lures to probe structure and depths, studying fish biology, learning to read water, and paying attention to forage are all key skills that will allow you to hook up.

 

Often times before I fish a new section of lake on my kayak I will gauge the depths at staggered distances using line and a sinker. I can locate the drop offs and weed bed transitions that way. It doesn't take to long to develop a mental map of an area that way.

I didn’t mean to accuse people who fish without electronics to be relying on stupid luck. Using the traditional methods you describe to find depth and structure is far from stupid. I was speaking from the perspective of a tournament angler who doesn’t have time to use the methods you describe because they fish competitively in many lakes all over the country. Impossible to efficiently learn them electronics free. This would put most of the anglers at a serious disadvantage when fishing against others who may be fishing home waters and have many years experience over someone fishing that particular lake for the first time. I believe electronics can help level the playing field. 
 

I have an old school Lowrance X70a in my boat but do not use it all the time. A lot of the places I go I have fished for so many years I already know where the fish will be at different times of the year. I don’t need a machine to tell me something I already know. My kayak doesn’t have a fish finder. I use the kayak primarily for fishing saltwater and do not really feel like I need one. I look for birds working over bait, I fish channel edges and other locations I am able to locate without electronics. I wouldn’t consider myself to be relying on “stupid luck”. I wouldn’t say it is stupid luck when I catch fish without electronics although some people might disagree.:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a problem whenever you choose not to limit technology in a sports competition. Just look at what gone on over the years in the America's Cup as it became an engineering rather than sailing competition. I think it's absurd to allow trolling motors for kayak fishing tourney's, isn't the whole point to be human powered and limited by that?  A guy who arrives fresh as a daisy after traveling 2 miles to a new spot has an advantage over a guy who worked hard for that. 

 

I'm sure examples could be found everywhere of tech that changed sports, some allowed, some not. Compound bows, helmet telecom gear in football, aluminum bats, I recall there's golf club construction that's off limits. My point is there's nothing wrong with a competitive sport deciding some tech is off limits. Maybe bass fishing should be GPS only: charts & location but no imaging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.