ADTR14

Flaptail trials

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

So while I was scouring this forum for info on a popper/spook hybrid, I came across a couple flaptail threads that intrigued me. Especially those that Steel Pulse builds! The issue I quickly found, was finding an option I liked for the hanger/cleat/bracket that’s attached to the tail to get the blade below the plug, like how Lido’s were built. 

I know Paul builds his hanger, but his skill is far beyond me, so I started looking around for pre-made options. I noticed several people mention that some musky shops have the cleat/hanger, but no specific places were mentioned and I couldn’t find anything during my searches.

Anyways, here’s a couple options I did find, one is the brass “plumbers chain” that I found in a flaptail build article, and the second is a figure 8 link I stumbled across. My test plug was actually a 7.5” two hook spook I had made already, that has a belly weight and tail weight. I set it up with a standard tail wrap and the brass link so I could try the flaptail below center and on center. With the blade, the plug sat at about 40-45 degrees in the water. Action wise, at least with this set up, I think I preferred the blade on center from the tail wrap. The blade made a bit more commotion on the surface and that seemed to give the plug a slight side to side action as well. Neither configuration wanted to walk, at all, but I know it’s not a spook. I’ve got a few more that I plan to play with different weighting, but so far I’m liking this plug!

Hopefully this will add a couple options for people

B785BB32-90C7-4A4C-BFF8-0E27739E7F7C.jpeg

C33C37B5-7316-447E-92DC-549A599F6FA8.jpeg

E8F24ABD-01A0-4CBC-A901-0E5D8A8BE0D4.jpeg

3 hours ago, wvbud22 said:

I have thought about that plug and never followed thru on a build. Is it supposed to walk like a spook?

I saw a few people mention a “walk” but with how much drag the blade creates I’m curious what they mean. Steady retrieve and rip/pause I think are more along the lines of what it’s meant for

I have not done any flaptail experiments on spook type plugs but with metal lip swimmers I found the flaptail has enough drag to stop the swimming action altogether.  I made a 6 inch Danny last year that I had enough success with that I want to make a few more this year, usually I use a Lefty 1 lip on my 6 inch Danny, with the flaptail I had to use a Danny 2 lip for it to swim like a Danny should.  For your plug I think I would try turning the next one to have more volume in the front of the lure to counter balance the drag of the flaptail. Just a thought.

pretty cool man, just thinking off the top of my head, if I were to tackle something like that I would add weight to the front of the plug and keep the back end light and lively so the blade can do it's job.  I think a lot has to do where and how you plan on using these.  I am thinking a subsurface bottled like darter of some sort might be a neat application, good luck man! 

6 hours ago, TKSurf said:

I have not done any flaptail experiments on spook type plugs but with metal lip swimmers I found the flaptail has enough drag to stop the swimming action altogether.  I made a 6 inch Danny last year that I had enough success with that I want to make a few more this year, usually I use a Lefty 1 lip on my 6 inch Danny, with the flaptail I had to use a Danny 2 lip for it to swim like a Danny should.  For your plug I think I would try turning the next one to have more volume in the front of the lure to counter balance the drag of the flaptail. Just a thought.

Yea I just happened to have a body ready to try, I have the Lido specs so I plan to turn a few of those. They are bigger than this spook body. The one I put together probably has a bit too much weight I think

1 hour ago, norcalkat said:

pretty cool man, just thinking off the top of my head, if I were to tackle something like that I would add weight to the front of the plug and keep the back end light and lively so the blade can do it's job.  I think a lot has to do where and how you plan on using these.  I am thinking a subsurface bottled like darter of some sort might be a neat application, good luck man! 

Might have to try that! The builds I’ve seen it looks like people place the weight in the center of the plug or in the tail. In general I think the idea is to keep the front up and the tail down so the blade spins easily. I think it might be a good option for the delta, or maybe the musky lake that’s a few hours from me

The few that I have done sort of walk. More like the blade churns up the water as you try to walk it. You can also wake them. Just fast enough to get the blade spinning. I've done well with smaller ones made for snallmouth. Use a Colorado blade on those. Walk it, walk it, mix it up, or even just rip it on top. Smallies crush it. No weight on mind. The blade adds enough weight.

12 hours ago, wvbud22 said:

I have thought about that plug and never followed thru on a build. Is it supposed to walk like a spook?

Was going to ask same question.

1 hour ago, Jig Man said:

The few that I have done sort of walk. More like the blade churns up the water as you try to walk it. You can also wake them. Just fast enough to get the blade spinning. I've done well with smaller ones made for snallmouth. Use a Colorado blade on those. Walk it, walk it, mix it up, or even just rip it on top. Smallies crush it. No weight on mind. The blade adds enough weight.

Thanks for the info! I think I may have seen some of yours in my searching. Might have to make a few smaller ones in the 4-5” range for the hybrids that I have near me. 

I think I might be able to get this one to at least make some direction changes by removing/reducing the weights. That blade is heavy, so that might be the ticket for this body

The way you have it attached to the plug is not the best way to get a lot of splash from the tail l did it that way and it so so, then l remember that Heddon had the flap tail hanger under the tail end of the plug and so did so many old-time plug builder.

Here is what l did to get the most tail action working the plug slowly.

l modified an old Pfluger 5" mustang plug works great.

Be for Mod.

DSC02724.JPG.9a8d3491a8abb273af326ddf6b572e30.JPG

After Mod. a lot of tail action with the hanger below the body.

DSC02725.JPG.48a2936dc27e7c8727c49063643a3866.JPG

One I did a while back shaped like a Heddon Spook Flap tail.

DSC02502.JPG.e08a071ee4079eb6a1b60d5e35849934.JPG

Don't add any weight to the front of the plug,you want the tail down, when you start to retrieve the plug the flap tail will make the plug rise and flutter.

Do test you have one built now build another but with the hanger for the flap below the plug, you will see that l mean. 

My 2 cents

21 hours ago, ADTR14 said:

So while I was scouring this forum for info on a popper/spook hybrid, I came across a couple flaptail threads that intrigued me. Especially those that Steel Pulse builds! The issue I quickly found, was finding an option I liked for the hanger/cleat/bracket that’s attached to the tail to get the blade below the plug, like how Lido’s were built. 

I know Paul builds his hanger, but his skill is far beyond me, so I started looking around for pre-made options. I noticed several people mention that some musky shops have the cleat/hanger, but no specific places were mentioned and I couldn’t find anything during my searches.

Anyways, here’s a couple options I did find, one is the brass “plumbers chain” that I found in a flaptail build article, and the second is a figure 8 link I stumbled across. My test plug was actually a 7.5” two hook spook I had made already, that has a belly weight and tail weight. I set it up with a standard tail wrap and the brass link so I could try the flaptail below center and on center. With the blade, the plug sat at about 40-45 degrees in the water. Action wise, at least with this set up, I think I preferred the blade on center from the tail wrap. The blade made a bit more commotion on the surface and that seemed to give the plug a slight side to side action as well. Neither configuration wanted to walk, at all, but I know it’s not a spook. I’ve got a few more that I plan to play with different weighting, but so far I’m liking this plug!

Hopefully this will add a couple options for people

B785BB32-90C7-4A4C-BFF8-0E27739E7F7C.jpeg

C33C37B5-7316-447E-92DC-549A599F6FA8.jpeg

E8F24ABD-01A0-4CBC-A901-0E5D8A8BE0D4.jpeg

Look on youtube there is video on wiring a flap tail plug from a plug builder.

Found the video link. watch the hole video it starts about the middle.

1 hour ago, LB said:

The way you have it attached to the plug is not the best way to get a lot of splash from the tail l did it that way and it so so, then l remember that Heddon had the flap tail hanger under the tail end of the plug and so did so many old-time plug builder.

Here is what l did to get the most tail action working the plug slowly.

l modified an old Pfluger 5" mustang plug works great.

Be for Mod.

DSC02724.JPG.9a8d3491a8abb273af326ddf6b572e30.JPG

After Mod. a lot of tail action with the hanger below the body.

DSC02725.JPG.48a2936dc27e7c8727c49063643a3866.JPG

One I did a while back shaped like a Heddon Spook Flap tail.

DSC02502.JPG.e08a071ee4079eb6a1b60d5e35849934.JPG

Don't add any weight to the front of the plug,you want the tail down, when you start to retrieve the plug the flap tail will make the plug rise and flutter.

Do test you have one built now build another but with the hanger for the flap below the plug, you will see that l mean. 

My 2 cents

Thanks man! Yea I did try it with the brass link that put the blade below the plug body. The blade definitely worked easier than having it directly off the tail loop, but I felt like there was a bit more splash with it off the tail loop. Definitely more testing needed. More than likely I’ll end up copying Paul and his Lido style flaptails

6 mins ago, Jig Man said:

This is the smallie one. No weight in it.

IMG_20210227_221946438.jpg

I like that! I can see some wipers crushing something like that this spring