Frankie429

Small bucktails on GSB1321M?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

So I recently got a 11ft Lami GSB1321M. I know the rating is technically in the 2-5 area.  But Ive seen guys throw lighter stuff with this rod such as 1oz- 1 1/4oz bucktails. Whats your guys experience with this? Or can I get away with using my 9ft ODM DNA to throw light bucktails up front on the open beach? Obviously I will eventually find out when I finally get down to the beach but Im just curious.

I fish 1oz all the time on a 1321m.

Between the regular and modern OS,  I feel the OS  is better for lighter stuff.

I would not say it is the choice rod for 1oz, but I fish that size a lot. The last few seasons it is the weight I fish the most and 95%  of the time it is on a 1321m.

1 hour ago, puppet said:

I would not say it is the choice rod for 1oz, but I fish that size a lot. The last few seasons it is the weight I fish the most and 95%  of the time it is on a 1321m.

What percentage of time are you using the 1321m? Sounds like it's your go to rod

6 hours ago, Dutch57 said:

What percentage of time are you using the 1321m? Sounds like it's your go to rod

70-80% of my season. The other percentage I will use the 1201L or 1201m.

A lot of nights the 1321m is overkill especially the way this fishery has turned with all the small fish everywhere, but I have had a few outings earlier in my experience where I was undergunned with large and had decided never again.

I throw plugs up tp 6 oz in the same conditions that i like to throw 1 oz bucktails.  Not too many rods can pull that off. To me its the perfect blank as legacy as some consider it.  Very durable, excellent fish fighting, and very versatile, what else can an angler want?

12 hours ago, puppet said:

70-80% of my season. The other percentage I will use the 1201L or 1201m.

A lot of nights the 1321m is overkill especially the way this fishery has turned with all the small fish everywhere, but I have had a few outings earlier in my experience where I was undergunned with large and had decided never again.

I throw plugs up tp 6 oz in the same conditions that i like to throw 1 oz bucktails.  Not too many rods can pull that off. To me its the perfect blank as legacy as some consider it.  Very durable, excellent fish fighting, and very versatile, what else can an angler want?

What reel and line do you have on the 1321m?

21 hours ago, puppet said:

When you say, between the regular and modern OS, by “regular”, do you mean the original 1321m or the “modern non-OS” 1321m rated from 2-5ozs?

Waterdog....Modern non OS.

Dutch....Most guys will pair a vs250 but i fish a vs200. To me the difference between the two is insignificant and i definitly dont need line capacity.  the 200 has 3x the line i would ever need. I will fish the 200 on both 10 and 11' rods.

In general the weight, retrieve, and casting difference is not worth spending the coin to get a 250 for me.  every now and then I consider getting a 275 or 300,  but there is only 1-5% of outings where i feel I could benefit from the bigger reel.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Regarding the OP and following up on the question about the 9' Odm. There is nothing wrong with a 9' rod. Tony Stetzko fished a 9' rod and a friend, who I hold in high regard, has landed some really huge bass on a 9' rod in the rocks.  I think a 9' rod can land just about any bass we encounter, it is more a question, if we have the skill to pull it off. That odm might be better and more sensitive than the gsb, rod choice is often more of a personal preference and depends on the details in how you fish.

Edited by puppet

10 hours ago, puppet said:

Regarding the OP and following up on the question about the 9' Odm. There is nothing wrong with a 9' rod. Tony Stetzko fished a 9' rod and a friend, who I hold in high regard, has landed some really huge bass on a 9' rod in the rocks.  I think a 9' rod can land just about any bass we encounter, it is more a question, if we have the skill to pull it off. That odm might be better and more sensitive than the gsb, rod choice is often more of a personal preference and depends on the details in how you fish.

Sorry to hijack the thread Frankie. I've been fishing the original 1081mh for 5 years now. A friend from work had it in the rafters of his garage. He had purchased it years ago and never fished it. I'm getting a reel seat put onto it and getting the 1321m made for this season. I was planning on purchasing the 200 and rotating between the two rods. What line are fishing on the 200?

Posted (edited) · Report post

For a long time years ago. I fished power pro 50, but over the last 6 seasons it has been 20# original fireline.  Trust me 20# fireline is far stronger and more durable than 50#powerpro....they are roughly the same diameter.  I tried using 30# fireline but I had trouble breaking it on snags. Fireline is crazy strong.

I buy the line in bulk 1500 yards.  I load 200 yards of running line, the rest i fill with 65 or 80# braid backing. I will fish the 200 yards until it is beat, then i will reverse it and fish the unused end.  I do 200 with the idea that i could reverse it in the field or on the road if i need to.

One could also just put 150 yards and the rest backing. Unless you are drifting inlets, 150 is plenty and most bass would never take more than 50 yards on a locked drag.  No matter what anyone says mosts casts are only about 50 yards.

If you want to discuss further pm me.

Edited by puppet