Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Heading to Block early June this year with the fellas. Like usual we will be surfcasting the beaches by night. This time around we'll have access to a shallow draft skiff and a push pole during the day. Has anyone tried their hand at fly fishing / sight fishing in Great Salt Pond? If you've got any stories or tips I'd love to hear 'em. God I love Block Island.

1 hour ago, benj said:

Heading to Block early June this year with the fellas. Like usual we will be surfcasting the beaches by night. This time around we'll have access to a shallow draft skiff and a push pole during the day. Has anyone tried their hand at fly fishing / sight fishing in Great Salt Pond? If you've got any stories or tips I'd love to hear 'em. God I love Block Island.

Try posting  this question in the Fly Fishing forum.  A few members fly fish Block regularly. 

The "great salt Pond" isn't on Block Island. it on the mainland, its the body of water that the Ferry uses on the mainland side.

To be clear, the OP’s post is not spot burning. Responses could potentially be spot burning, depending on the response...let’s wait til spot burning happens before we get all excited :)

TimS

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 7:39 PM, TimS said:

To be clear, the OP’s post is not spot burning. Responses could potentially be spot burning, depending on the response...let’s wait til spot burning happens before we get all excited :)

TimS

Fishing from Champlin's Marina, New Harbor, dock "B", slip 135, is that general enough? 

Edited by Capt.Castafly

On 2/27/2021 at 4:04 PM, MakoMike said:

The "great salt Pond" isn't on Block Island. it on the mainland, its the body of water that the Ferry uses on the mainland side.

Isn’t great salt pond what it’s called? At least that’s what maps call it. 

12 mins ago, z-man said:

Lol!   No such animal as nautical maps .......

Charts! First thing you learn at Captain's School.

2 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Lol!   No such animal as nautical maps .......

Charts! First thing you learn at Captain's School.

What about google maps?

1 min ago, z-man said:

What about google maps?

Mike,

If I remember correctly, the only place I ever seen the term Great Salt Pond was on navigated nautical charts.

All the maps I seen of the area has it as Salt Pond.

9 hours ago, z-man said:

Yes, Great Salt Pond is on B.I.

The pond in Point Judith is known as Salt Pond.

Well now that we are hopefully finished with the nonsense, there are site fishing opportunities in Great Salt Pond on Block. I would imagine it's no different then doing it on the flats of Fishers Island or the many salt ponds on the mainland of RI.

RI.jpg

1 hour ago, 27conch said:
1 hour ago, 27conch said:

RI.jpg

If you really want to know the skinny about fishing Great Salt Pond, contact Capt. Chris Willi on the island.

Chris Willi runs a tackle shop there, is a charter guy, and past Harbor Master. He knows the basin well and the timing and arrival of the stripers.