Massachusetts hunting/fishing fee increase

Rate this topic

stinky1

21 mins ago, bob_G said:

Years ago I was turkey hunting in west central Ma. Back then they had a split season. First season, weeks 1-2, second season, weeks 3-4.  Coming out of the woods I bumped into an EPO.  He saw me in camo, and asked what I was doing?   I told him I was turkey hunting. He says "oh no, don't say that, there's no turkey hunting in this part of the state, plus turkey season ended two weeks ago."

I had to pull out my license, and show him endorsed Ma split season, weeks 3-4 turkey permit.  The guy didn't have a clue.

That’s crazy. It seems any of us on this site know more about the laws. They must not have much training sessions or meetings to discuss current policies. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Years ago I was turkey hunting in west central Ma. Back then they had a split season. First season, weeks 1-2, second season, weeks 3-4.  Coming out of the woods I bumped into an EPO.  He saw me in camo, and asked what I was doing?   I told him I was turkey hunting. He says "oh no, don't say that, there's no turkey hunting in this part of the state, plus turkey season ended two weeks ago."

I had to pull out my license, and show him endorsed Ma split season, weeks 3-4 turkey permit.  The guy didn't have a clue.

A little bit hard to believe....................

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I remember when you had to chose one season or the other. I always went for the earlier season to escape the bugs. But the late season often had as good or better hunting.  

I'll have mine on the rocks.

1 hour ago, z-man said:

That’s crazy. It seems any of us on this site know more about the laws. They must not have much training sessions or meetings to discuss current policies. 

Unfortunately those kind of stories are too common. It gets worse when you're dealing with fish & game issues involving anything other than deer or trout. Their knowledge of non-game animals and the laws around them can be shockingly bad.

I had a warden come charging out of the woods on a trout pond when he saw me accidentally reel in a turtle.

It was an invasive red eared slider. He called it a wood turtle. He told me to release it right away. I tried to tell him it was invasive and would actually be illegal to release it. He doubled down on the wood turtle ID. He also told me in was illegal to remove or possess ANY turtle from the wild in Massachusetts. Like a dummy I tried to argue (there are native turtles you can legally collect) and tried to get him to at least take the invasive one himself. He took the turtle from me and dropped it back in the pond. Then proceeded to check all our licenses and search our bags and act like he was about to bust us for anything he could find. He did not like me arguing even though he was wrong.

11 mins ago, b-ware said:

I find the EPOs in central and western Mass. to be very educated and professional individuals.  Well versed in fish and game laws, enviromental laws and the general laws of the Commonwealth.

To be fair, I've had many more positive experiences than the one described above. 

I do tend to run into them pretty often since I fish the popular stocked trout ponds. Certain ponds are on their regular route.

If you're following the rules and the conversation never strays beyond stocked trout, they're typically fine to deal with.

On 2/27/2021 at 3:12 PM, unskunk said:

pensions, my man.......

how many people are collecting a state pension and and working at another state job?

this state is full of them......eg.MBTA.....full retirement at 40.........

State employees fund there own pension, people like yourself have 0 money put in, now state police, mbta is totally different, years ago they got politicians in to give what they wanted, a regular state employee can retire at 55 year of age but  after 10 years of service, I had to work 38 1/2 years to get 80 percent, and I have to pay for health insurance, dental, eye glasses, and let say I worked in the private sector, before I was a state employee, and it was time to retire, and let say I was going to get $1000 from social security, i get a penalty, and only get around $450, and I have to pay for Medicare

LIFE MEMBER OF THE , BRUINS, SOX, PATS, B-WARE HATERS CLUB... LIFE MEMBER OF THE CANADIENS, YANKEES, GIANTS...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Explanations about the increases, information about MDFW funding, and information on three virtual information sessions can be found here:   https://www.mass.gov/info-details/masswildlife-funding

If hunting licenses are down 50%, wouldn't it indicate that programs supporting hunting should be cut 50%?   

I joke because I believe the fact that it is nearly impossible to hunt with a firearm within 128, very difficult to hunt within 495 with a firearm, a ban on Sunday hunting, and a refusal to allow bowhunting on Sunday tells me the MA legislature is anti-hunting.  

4 hours ago, Eagles Dare said:

I remember when you had to chose one season or the other. I always went for the earlier season to escape the bugs. But the late season often had as good or better hunting.  

It was a toss up , but I went for the first one too.

I also believe the second season was generally as good or better.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:27 PM, Plug and teaser said:

It was a toss up , but I went for the first one too.

I also believe the second season was generally as good or better.

I had VT as a backup for the late season or if I tagged out early (they always ran the whole month of May).

I'll have mine on the rocks.

• 2 weeks later...