stinky1

Massachusetts hunting/fishing fee increase

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

I'm interested to see what the general consensus is here on the new fee increase proposal in Massachusetts. I for one agree that an increase is probably overdue. I know some believe there shouldn't be a fee at all. I can't get behind it as it reads now though.

A couple things that rub me the wrong way.... the majority of the increase is tied to deer hunting. Why not institute a tag system for pheasant?  Also we are losing habitat daily. Money from these licenses funds the purchase of WMA's yet we are inundated by non-hunters and fishermen on these properties. Sunday hunting as well would be helpful. The list goes on.

I'm guessing the fishing increase is so that they can continue to buy stocking fish from other states instead of raising them here? Heck, they should have been saving money not funding the Atlantic salmon stocking program, right?

Since they've gone to a completely "put and take" fishery, why bother about size and quality of stocked fish if they aren't expected to survive the year?

And will the fees be bundled together with the state's "general fund" (also known as the state's wet dream bank account)?

I know they try it almost yearly and get their asses whooped every time they try.

Well, unfortunately only time will tell what they can possibly accomplish with extra money to throw around....

11 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

I'm guessing the fishing increase is so that they can continue to buy stocking fish from other states instead of raising them here? Heck, they should have been saving money not funding the Atlantic salmon stocking program, right?

Since they've gone to a completely "put and take" fishery, why bother about size and quality of stocked fish if they aren't expected to survive the year?

And will the fees be bundled together with the state's "general fund" (also known as the state's wet dream bank account)?

I know they try it almost yearly and get their asses whooped every time they try.

Well, unfortunately only time will tell what they can possibly accomplish with extra money to throw around....

I wish they never did away with that program - while I've caught the smaller landlock versions at the res, I missed out at catching one of those bigger ones. And I live near by two spots that use get them

Posted (edited) · Report post

29 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Massachusetts has always been put and take. They don't stock any trout with the goal of reproduction or make any particular effort to enhance what little natural reproduction there is.

Having said that, there are many lakes and ponds where stocked trout survive the year and even multiple years.

The streams and rivers may not do as well only because most get too warm in summer. Still, holdover can be found in the better rivers and brooks.

I personally think Massachusetts has a pretty decent stocking program. I certainly catch plenty with many decent sized.

Edited by mikez2

3 hours ago, BDigital said:

I'm all for it if it goes to something meaningful and not to the "general funds".

Totally agree!!

17 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Does Massachusetts now have a saltwater license? As opposed to the Federal registry?

Yes we do but it does not fall under this increase ! Freshwater and hunting only

If the extra money went to something useful like more shore access and boat launches I would be fine with the increases but we all know we will see nothing change except for less money in our pockets. Fees and taxes for everything in this state keep dramatically increasing and we get nothing in return. 

1 hour ago, z-man said:

If the extra money went to something useful like more shore access and boat launches I would be fine with the increases but we all know we will see nothing change except for less money in our pockets. Fees and taxes for everything in this state keep dramatically increasing and we get nothing in return. 

But hey, new boats and trucks don't grow on trees, right?

With anything left over they might be able to start a project or 2, but never finish them.

It was my understanding that these licensing fees were all earmarked to go exclusively to conservation.  If that is the case then I wholeheartedly support it, but if it's just going into some politicians pockets, no way!