RAW

Soft bait rig with treble

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

This was in the newer  issue of Saltwater, Have been doing this for years, I cut top of treble off. Works awesome on schoolies. Was surprised to see, been around 25 yrs.

IMG_1673.jpg

I put out a video showing why that rig isn't as good as how I do it.

It may not be a big negative for larger saltwater baits....But for finesse type baits....I found it impaired the action.

This looks to be the same method that Mike Iaconelli uses and put out a vide on his method of rigging.

Another way to do it is use a spring lock type bait securing rig....and hang a dropper off of that (they make closed eye spring keepers. Designed specifically for that.  It's a popular way to rig plastics in the UK for Pike.)

Ughhh....that was one of the worst text I ever used in a thumbnail......

Additionally the way the article reads.....Makes me wonder if the author used the rig....

If you just...."hang" the treble.

It's going to fall to whatever side of the belly of of the hook gravity will allow.

Which means it can wedge in the nose..

Wedging in the nose is a very high probability 

Especially with twist lock hooks.

I would never rig a bait as shown.

I use a rig dubbed a scoobythrough rig which uses a drop to a tungsten weight to get the center of gravity away from the bait....and have used that rig for years as a goto.

((worth mentioning....The video I put out was in reply to Iaconelli....I no longer use that rigging method as it hooks very deep in the throat))

I tried a similar rig to this and don't use it any more because that treble hook will get absolutely buried in the throat of a bass, most often schoolies. Soft baits fold so well when bit compared to plugs (obviously). I felt like I hooked too many fish too deep too often to keep using it. I mostly fish with a McKenna double rig or single hook out of the belly with an exposed point to get good hook ups and quick releases. You'll miss a lot of bites with weedless wide gap hooks, I only use them when it's really rocky/weedy in a spot. 

This style of rigging can be helpful for fluke however, they can't swallow a bait as well as a bass.

I have been using a rig like that for years too. Typically on 9" Sluggos and I rig it so the top point of the treble is sunk into the belly of the bait. Only use it for jacks and cuda though. No need for stripers.

21 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I put out a video showing why that rig isn't as good as how I do it.

It may not be a big negative for larger saltwater baits....But for finesse type baits....I found it impaired the action.

This looks to be the same method that Mike Iaconelli uses and put out a vide on his method of rigging.

Another way to do it is use a spring lock type bait securing rig....and hang a dropper off of that (they make closed eye spring keepers. Designed specifically for that.  It's a popular way to rig plastics in the UK for Pike.)

Ughhh....that was one of the worst text I ever used in a thumbnail......

Scoob, that's a bad ass hack. I would never have believed the braid would be tough enough after flattening and impaling.

I use the Z-man plastic flukes with a #4 off set  Owner hook with   the hook point up. This set up lets the lure move side to side in a very natural way and drives snook crazy.  I very rarely miss a hit with the simple single hook up. Anything that prevents the lure from a free movement I think hurts the effectiveness of these set ups.  I have also used super flukes,but the Z-man is a lot more durable. I haven't used these for stripers,but I'm sure it will work just as well. I've never had a gut hook up with this set up.