EdSy

Equal Length Rod Sections

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I didn't want to hijack the Back Bay/Surf topic; but I too am shopping for a 2-piece, 8' - 9' rod for mostly back bay and river with some surf fishing less often.  For transportation reasons, I want to buy a rod with roughly equal length sections when disassembled.  I believe that the St. Croix 8' Triumph TSF80M2, and the Tica Dolphin TC3, 8' have equal length (50:50) sections.  I'd welcome comments on these, and suggestions of other 50:50 rods that I should consider.   Thanks, Ed

Penn prevail, I'm sure some will mention the penn battalion.

I have not mentioned that one because I have no experience with it never even seen one.

I prevail has served me very very well.

HH

Love my 9' 1/2-2oz Battalion! (As well as my prior Prevail)

What I hate are 50/50 splits with guide layouts that don't allow it to lay in the trunk at 50/50...by that I mean with the lure hooked onto the bottom guide of tip section and the line just snugged up via the reel. My lamiglas x11 9' 50/50 ends up 6' long when this is done, so either a hook is floating around freely or I have to remove it. 

1 hour ago, cityevader said:

What I hate are 50/50 splits with guide layouts that don't allow it to lay in the trunk at 50/50...by that I mean with the lure hooked onto the bottom guide of tip section and the line just snugged up via the reel.

Seriously?

That is the silliest reason I have ever heard for complaining about a guide layout or about 50/50 split rods

For heaven's sakes it's about performance on the water not in the trunk.

PS guides are not meant for holding pointy hooks.

Guide "rings" aren't for hooks, I agree. Guide feet, I'll use till I die.

If "performance on the water" was the sole reason for everything, there would be no two piece rods in existence.

BTW, I did not imply that guide layout *must suffer in order to conform to my desire*.

I detest cars that require the ignition key to be removed in order to turn the hood release latch up front....but if "opening the hood" is the sole requirement then all cars should do that?

I have one 9' rod with no guide on the butt section at all....line slaps like a sunuvabitch. (It'll be my first practice rod for rebuilding)

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, EdSy said:

My thanks to cityevader and ZAFisher for their comments.  Can anyone else suggest rods that I should consider?

-Ed

Oh I made a comment in the thread and no suggestion, sry.

i feel like I’m lacking some details for a good rod recommendation but I recently (last year near end of season) purchased a dark matter open beach. I like it, it’s a great rod, it’s around a 10 foot throws 1-2 oz nicely and has a split grip. Very similar to a salmon rod. Dunno if that the weight range your looking for but it’s a nice rod.

Edited by Callmefish

5 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Seriously?

That is the silliest reason I have ever heard for complaining about a guide layout or about 50/50 split rods

For heaven's sakes it's about performance on the water not in the trunk.

PS guides are not meant for holding pointy hooks.

They won't perform in the water if they aren't in the car. A lot of my fishing is opportunistic lately, so if it doesn't fit in the trunk, it's not going to see much fishing time. It's convenient when you can just reel down and put it away, but I've resolved myself that I'll generally be using some sort of wrap to hold the sections together.

If I don't have a hook holder, I hook the guide frame, not the insert.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have used the 8’ Tica TC3 medium for two seasons now for backside fishing and I really enjoy it. It’s much nicer than I thought it would be and it pairs really well with my Daiwa BG3000. It’s light, casts well and with 50/50 split it travels well. If I broke it tomorrow I would buy another one. And it has a hook holder 

Edited by Cmansfield67

9 hours ago, EdSy said:

I didn't want to hijack the Back Bay/Surf topic; but I too am shopping for a 2-piece, 8' - 9' rod for mostly back bay and river with some surf fishing less often.  For transportation reasons, I want to buy a rod with roughly equal length sections when disassembled.  I believe that the St. Croix 8' Triumph TSF80M2, and the Tica Dolphin TC3, 8' have equal length (50:50) sections.  I'd welcome comments on these, and suggestions of other 50:50 rods that I should consider.   Thanks, Ed

Whats your budget my man?  What weights are you throwing?  What's your fishing style?  And what game are you chasing?

My budget is $100-$200, weights from roughly 1-3 ounces, fishing a mix of bucktails, plugs, and bait depending on my mood and the situation.  Primarily fishing for stripers and catfish, different days, different places.  Thanks, Ed