GeoffT

New Trax 2-30 doesn't quite in scuppers

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bought a brand new Hobie Trax 2-30 for my 2019 Outback.   But to my surprise, the scupper frame is slightly wider apart than the width between the scupper holes in my yak, enough they would need to be forced through the scuppers.   The problem is the wheels don't drop to the ground when I lift the back of the yak up.

 

Can I safely bend one side of the frame slightly using a mallet to match the width of the scupper holes better?

Edited by GeoffT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed one side of the frame is slightly leaning to the outside.  So I used a level and it's definitely not straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you bent out the carts rods your kayak would be kind of sitting in a "V" shape .... that would put pressure on the bottom of the scupper tubes, It could crack in that area???

 

scupper.jpg.ffc8eca6131d3ed94fb0b1109b8e0f8f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, BillZ said:

If you bent out the carts rods your kayak would be kind of sitting in a "V" shape .... that would put pressure on the bottom of the scupper tubes, It could crack in that area???

 

scupper.jpg.ffc8eca6131d3ed94fb0b1109b8e0f8f.jpg

Actually, I need to bend one of the rods slightly inward, toward the middle of the frame, as the frame is slightly wider the scuppers - the opposite of what is shown on your nice diagram.

 

I'm guessing a vise and a mallet would do the trick?

Edited by GeoffT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fwiw, if it were me, id be on the phone with these guys, that things not cheap, they should give you what you paid for

 

Best...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

forgot ..... reason i suggested calling  is; a lot of the times these tubes are brittle, start whacking them, bending etc, & you could crack or even break the tube.... at that point its all on you not them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback, Bill.
 

The problem is STUPID me already made a couple of mods to the cart that would be somewhat difficult to reverse.  So I have to make do with what I have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I'll say it: using a scupper cart is a great way to crack your boat. You're better off taking the wheels and make a 'cradle & strap' type PVC cart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, gellfex said:

Okay, I'll say it: using a scupper cart is a great way to crack your boat. You're better off taking the wheels and make a 'cradle & strap' type PVC cart.

And you should be the guy to say it because, I believe, it is YOUR job ... at least you were appointed that position while you weren't paying attention

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, jeffreyrichard said:

And you should be the guy to say it because, I believe, it is YOUR job ... at least you were appointed that position while you weren't paying attention

And who appointed you the opinion police? Cracking Hobies are notorious,  but not everyone knows this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, gellfex said:

And who appointed you the opinion police? Cracking Hobies are notorious,  but not everyone knows this. 

a lame attempt at humor ... you stated what I was thinking. You shouldn't stick anything hard into a scupper hole (is this a future Tee Shirt? Meme?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never had a Hobie scupper crack because of a scupper cart after 5 seasons of use.   The scupper holes are reinforced and seemed to do a good job of preventing cracks so far.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GeoffT said:

Never had a Hobie scupper crack because of a scupper cart after 5 seasons of use.   The scupper holes are reinforced and seemed to do a good job of preventing cracks so far.  

I've been using my scupper cart for 8 years on my PA12, no issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

a lame attempt at humor ... you stated what I was thinking. You shouldn't stick anything hard into a scupper hole (is this a future Tee Shirt? Meme?)

OK, sorry for the defensive remark, getting too used to the bareknuckles in the Tavern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.