HoldMyBass

V6 or 4 cylinder turbo

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I will be purchasing a new or slightly used truck soon. I will be test driving the usual choices in the coming month. While looking online doing my homework, I am seeing many/some 4x4 pickups coming in 4 cylinder turbo instead of V6. This truck will be a daily driver that will get me on the beach   30-40 times a year. This truck will not be towing/trailering or any of that. Anyone have any insight on the 4 cylinder turbo??  I am thinking I want a V6.. but would like to know pros and cons of each before making decisions. I appreciate anyone help on the topic. Not really looking for specific manufactures, just the V6 vs V4 turbo choice. Thanks 

Edited by HoldMyBass

I have the 2019 Ranger with the 4 cylinder, I will say I am happy with everything about the engine, I get good gas mileage and I know you did not intend on towing but its rated up to 7700lbs. I have towed up to 5000 lbs. performed great.  

I should state that if I were to do it again I would opt for the 6 foot bed. The 5 foot bed just does work for most situations, I feel it is just to short. 

I rented an F-150 for a week and that had the 4 cylinder. that is was made me a believer. If you have that opportunity I would suggest doing that, driving it around for a couple of days is a lot better then the 20 minute dealer test drive. 

I'll play devils advocate and ask if gas mileage or upfront additional costs are a factor. If not, leap at the 6 cyl, particularly bigger trucks like a F150. I know they have worked miracles with trannys and engines and maybe a "new" F150 behaves nicely with a 4, but at 100k and being turbo how will it be? What is the upfront difference cost and gas mileage factors? Gas won't be $2.00 a gallon under Granpa Joe, it seems like it goes up daily since 1/20.

I'm really not in the know about details, just raising issues I'd be concerned about.  Buy a Taco, indestructible, hold value, economical and perform well. Choose yer' own poison though, just my preference and I'm not even an owner.

Thanks for the replies. Taco just to small really looking for the full size.  I will not have much a commute so gas isn't a major factor. I will have to see how much of a difference the prices are when shopping. Some good things to think about. 

I would go V6, they always say displacement ,displacement for power . Turbos are fine I have 3,but they are on small cars . The larger engine just doesn't have to work as hard. You will be driving a 5000lb vehicle in a full size truck.. It's all about personnel preference.

That's what I was thinking john..... but I am not to knowledgeable on cars. I am def leaning toward the V-6. 

Appreciate everyone feedback. 

On 2/26/2021 at 8:21 AM, HoldMyBass said:

I will be purchasing a new or slightly used truck soon. I will be test driving the usual choices in the coming month. While looking online doing my homework, I am seeing many/some 4x4 pickups coming in 4 cylinder turbo instead of V6. This truck will be a daily driver that will get me on the beach   30-40 times a year. This truck will not be towing/trailering or any of that. Anyone have any insight on the 4 cylinder turbo??  I am thinking I want a V6.. but would like to know pros and cons of each before making decisions. I appreciate anyone help on the topic. Not really looking for specific manufactures, just the V6 vs V4 turbo choice. Thanks 

V6 More torque than a four banger w/ turbo which is what  you need off road

On 3/1/2021 at 11:36 AM, HoldMyBass said:

Thanks for the replies. Taco just to small really looking for the full size.  I will not have much a commute so gas isn't a major factor. I will have to see how much of a difference the prices are when shopping. Some good things to think about. 

Why not just get the Tundra with V8 and be done with it. About as dependable as you can get if your not concerned about mileage... You don't need to worry about the long-term reliability of a turbo.

If you drive on the street and want road performance, a 4 cylinder turbo may suit you.   I agree with the 6 cylinder advocates above, it's good for the longevity of the engine and will produce a more comfortable ride.     

21 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

If you drive on the street and want road performance, a 4 cylinder turbo may suit you.   I agree with the 6 cylinder advocates above, it's good for the longevity of the engine and will produce a more comfortable ride.     

IMHO leave the four on the floor (dealers).