SMC22

Fly Fishing Off a SUP for bones

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys,   Was down in Marathon at the beginning of the month. Got the lay of the land and a I am planning on heading back for the new moon in mid April. My buddy who doesn't fish has an inflatable SUP and he was telling me how he easily gets it checked in on his flights. It got me thinking about picking up an inflatable SUP and taking it to the keys (or wherever else I can get to) Will be primarily fishing for bones but I wanted to know if anyone else has had any experience with the inflatable SUPS. Any suggestions?

A friend and I use inflatable SUPs for DIY bonefishing trips.  My comments refer to the inflatable versions.....hard SUP's likely have advantages.

First, these are not a poor man's flats boat. They work best primarily for access. We'll kneel on them and paddle with kayak paddles.  They are easier to get on and off than an inflatable kayak.  We mostly fish on foot, thereafter.  They also serve as a home base to hold gear/supplies you don't want to carry as you wander away on foot.  

No problem flying with them though you will pay a baggage fee.  A 4 piece kayak paddle is easier to transport (we've used snowboard bags to carry two piece paddles and longer rods but that is another baggage fee).

They can be damaged by abrasion if you or the baggage handlers drag the bag on the ground.

Patch kits contain glues that you are not supposed to fly with.

They are difficult to paddle into significant wind......particularly if there is any chop.  A 1/2 mile crossing into 18kt wind is a HUGE effort.  Don't get caught facing a several mile paddle upwind at the end of the day to get home....and don't bother trying to paddle them standing up other then in very calm conditions.

You can stand on them and drift downwind looking for fish, but usually the fish spook before you can stop the board, get off, anchor, and get your rod.  

Casting off them has not worked for me.  Easy enough to do but they rock and slap water while you do and the wind pushes you very quickly.  

Dragging them while you hunt fish is tempting if you are covering distance, but again they make noise walking into the wind, swing past you and still make noise cross wind, and precede you walking down wind.  My success rate went up noticeably when I would leave them, wade a flat, return to get the board, then move to the next spot.  You need a good anchor.  They have enough wind resistance to drag the typical 1.5lb folding anchor, particularly with a second rod stored upright or with just a milkcrate on the deck to hold gear.  I still use the small anchor but am very careful to bury it and set it in a deep crab hole or tie it to a mangrove.  Consider the fin depth on the board.  Using them for wade fishing will mean dragging them through water only a few inches deep at times. 

Yeah, I second this. Especially in the keys with the persistent wind, it’s hard to actually fish from the SUP. Use it mostly for reaching better flats and spotting fish then either tether it to the mangroves or yourself. I’ll be down there mid April to may. I missed my trip last year and I’m absolutely frothing to get back down there.

I have one and it's a blast to fly fish off of.  I'll echo what was said above about the wind though.  They're not fun in the wind.  My kayak is much more efficient with the wind and tides so I mostly use that for saltwater.  The SUP I have is pretty stable ( I think 32" wide and pretty flat), but the tradeoff is that it doesn't cut through the chop well and isn't great in the wind.  Also, they sent it to me in a backpack - I've never really been able to fit it back in there, but I haven't tried too hard.  You could always get a slightly larger bag.  For flying, I think I'd want something more durable as far as a storage bag/luggage to hold the SUP anyway.

3ZRL45_p9JUHve0bypPF3s9bJT0pzbYoYKtoXbP-MXjYWPF69ZdxjbqhPPyf43Al6d_nzeI0SpWbxcuqNRYQwFjJdL4zmX6QDNpGUgFSoaCOh60GGp1CEQZl2MiVyLnoXNknHEm6LGFAz_Psa7Ax-piAeMbCOoDwWaNT-tmVuw3lm9dCSFWAh_TNQvak3HaPE5_0i1uMLEgOJvihIljXppXWzvtEuKqr68ySgC3qkwgG7jhhFp6IgjeyQ0UFazrIhOjYA3jhZaVfVVHMZsUf6ku6pW6EjicFT860TW3HAE60yOIuGAlSKcXPhHPkkFif4G5okumPasGfo4Uh8zWHKt-WnvtMAIpEQ-5NMPszXUc22xPCQVUj0JDAQOXnEzkcVhLsXURNqRpl90dqKOGFAHKQB5YUJlj8DBuKn-yQJrkpydUN9sid7wakzs4fo3ue6hrvTWf4f4l4PObl5Naye0yCHon6AHyMXdWKjLf3sxC3x1SqqSa7w2d5IZzc5eu_q6k6GILA15IIrus1ti1GN3BpuxrCwHS8mTZmz8xCCAwhXQ8UTrTDQ0h40mIIfKVVAbS0l8FiQ5jtjEjg0anSU2fbhRMjddrTrUrY1O6x8wZugRvoSqwtzZVT0OmS2aJM-6MsvKHAtqYJMmUzST4YJZBG9pGDANLF6lut6TDfSvxDvmW7yIf17mokRUCsGg=w1000-h750-no?authuser=0

I bought a Bote Aero bugslinger last year for a SC redfish trip that never happened. I used it in the Navesink and Shrewsbury rivers here in NJ a handful of times just to get comfy with it more than any actual fishing.

I do an annual trip to Marthas Vineyard and though it would be fun up there to explore the ponds. Also did not happen last year. 

I liked the idea of an inflatable because it is just easy to get around. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

Klepper kayak may be an option ....

It's difficult to travel by air with a 2-person Klepper/Long Haul these days, but a smaller single like a Klepper Scout or Long Haul Ute would definitely work.  That said, I have done quite a bit of fly fishing both out of my LH and also wading from my LH.  It works very very well for both purposes.  I think it would be pretty easy to build a custom Yost-style kayak for fly fishing specifically.  

7BA08FCD-0EDB-4508-BCE0-08E89C9A1ECF.jpeg

Edited by Bjorn240
Deleted photo - maybe a little too close to a spot burn