Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

2011 Suzuki 140 oil in spark plug boot

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

At the end of my season I noticed a loss of oil. With todays better weather I decided to take a look after winterizing and found an oil trail from the spark plug booty. Oil was fresh, filled the well. All other spark plugs had no oil. Pulled all the plugs looks health. I looked at a breakdown of the 140 motor and see the valve cover gasket and another gasket round that seals each spark plug.  Appears to be part 16.  I have not done a head gasket test, do not think I need one. Hopefully its just the valve cover gaskets. Has anyone had to replace this gasket or have the same leak?  

2E28E677-025C-42AE-8A84-1B5EF8A938DD.jpeg

923D7E1A-E8A3-4E05-B136-274112705C4C.jpeg

3AA35D0C-EDAE-4E6D-A4D7-1376D504E7E2.jpeg

4 stroke I assume? could it be fogging oil?

That plug looks rusty. Do the others look like that too? 

If you do have a leaky gasket, it might be heating up from the sun hitting that black cowling and expanding/blowing out of the top of the plug from either the heat gasket or even bad rings. (bad rings you likely would have noticed though when it ran last). 

A simple compression test on a cold engine may not be reliable. I would do a leak down test. Look it up / not too hard to do but the right test to do if you suspect there is an issue. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

If it was leaking oil into the cylinder it would be the valve seals in the head but that spark plug would be covered in oil and smoking when running. That plug is dry.   . So that tell me if there was residue oil in the spark plug hole area its leaking from the valve cover gasket..there is  four seals. One around each hole.  Its maybe a 30 min job and any one could Do it. All you need is a 8 mm and 10 mm. When you take off the low pressure  fuel pump don't lose the o ring seal. Don't need to torqe these down all crazy either.  They will break.  If your rings was bad it could not get oil into the spark plug holes from above but will still smoke.  Your theory of the valve cover gasket would be correct . Only one way for oil to get to that spot  

Edited by 757saltwater

56 mins ago, 757saltwater said:

This is a 90 but same  design as 140. Just happen to be dressing one today. 

20210302_144859.jpg

20210302_144855.jpg

Thank you for that! That gives me an understanding of what is happening. 

On 2/27/2021 at 3:40 PM, NHAngler said:

4 stroke I assume? could it be fogging oil?

That plug looks rusty. Do the others look like that too? 

If you do have a leaky gasket, it might be heating up from the sun hitting that black cowling and expanding/blowing out of the top of the plug from either the heat gasket or even bad rings. (bad rings you likely would have noticed though when it ran last). 

A simple compression test on a cold engine may not be reliable. I would do a leak down test. Look it up / not too hard to do but the right test to do if you suspect there is an issue. 

For the heck of it. I would like to see where I am at on all tests. This motor is a 2011 with unknown hours on it. The rpm gauge is not reliable at start up sonce it has a mind of its own. 1800 one day 2900 the next...lol

Mine is leaking at the top one too. These appear to be wearable. I last replaced the oil cooler 2 years ago after seeing water at the end of the season. This may be easier.

CCDE0191-CF97-44FC-911D-3F2B0CDE1FE2.png

1 hour ago, 757saltwater said:

This is a 90 but same  design as 140. Just happen to be dressing one today. 

20210302_144859.jpg

20210302_144855.jpg

Just curious what are doing to the motor?  In your opinion where do you rate the 140?  Mine is a 2011.  At least 2000 hours on it give or take.  Other than doing basic maintenance, I have replaced oil cooler.  Should I expect anything else?  Going on 4 season now. Hoping to get a few more years. 
thanks 

I rebuild Suzuki df from crank up . My commercial guys get 10k hrs plus out of these suzuki motors.  A noncommercial owner will never see these hrs before mother nature will get to them or they are sold for another boat.. Seems like the more it is used the better the insides are since it getting moving water thur it more often.  . Once you stop using it ,mother nature takes over. 

I'll add more later. 

2 hours ago, newcut said:

Valve cover bolts just loose maybe?

No bolts loose.