New Backbay/Surf Setup Suggestions

Rate this topic

Shock Collar

Looking at getting a new setup for Spring backbay striper fishing and for the surf too when appropriate - fluke, blues, etc. Looking at getting an 8' rod, very interested in the ODM D.N.A. but open to other suggestions. Just not sure about the reel - was possibly looking at the new 5000 Saragosa but not sure how that will balance on an 8' rod and they are hard to find right now. Appreciate any input, thanks.

ODM Dna are very nice rods.  I have the 9' and it's fantastic.  I have a Penn slammer 3 4500 on that.  Balances fine to me.  For an 8' rod maybe that would still balance well.  Shimano Stradic 5k is another option.  I have one of those on my 7 1/2 rod so should be fine on an 8'. Not sure about the sizing and weight for the new Saragosa.

“All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.”

41 mins ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

ODM Dna are very nice rods.  I have the 9' and it's fantastic.  I have a Penn slammer 3 4500 on that.  Balances fine to me.  For an 8' rod maybe that would still balance well.  Shimano Stradic 5k is another option.  I have one of those on my 7 1/2 rod so should be fine on an 8'. Not sure about the sizing and weight for the new Saragosa.

Love my 4k Stradic FL, just worried about using one in the surf where it is more susceptible to getting splashes. 

2 hours ago, Shock Collar said:

Looking at getting a new setup for Spring backbay striper fishing and for the surf too when appropriate - fluke, blues, etc. Looking at getting an 8' rod, very interested in the ODM D.N.A. but open to other suggestions. Just not sure about the reel - was possibly looking at the new 5000 Saragosa but not sure how that will balance on an 8' rod and they are hard to find right now. Appreciate any input, thanks.

Century Weapon or Weapon Jr Mag Taper. 

Weapon is ok with 3/8 but really comes alive at 1/2 and will throw up to 2.5 - 3 oz

Mag Taper is a touch faster, will throw 1/4oz on up to 3oz. Throws its entire range very effectively.  

I have the DNA,11ft and it is a fine rod. Although for the bay/river I recently paired a 4500 Spinfisher VI with the 8ft Tica Dolphin TC3. IMO it's a great setup for the price. I probably would have gone for the DNA Backbay or the 8ft model but I really liked the 50/50 split on the Tica.

I think the Gosa might be a tad big for an 8ft but can't properly comment as mine is still on back order.

To be honest there's an abundance of choice in this range. Might be an idea to try a couple different options in a tackle shop and see what you like.

Keep us all updated on your decision. 

Good luck!

T

(*member formerly known as ‘Tristan454’)

44 mins ago, Tristan454 said:

I have the DNA,11ft and it is a fine rod. Although for the bay/river I recently paired a 4500 Spinfisher VI with the 8ft Tica Dolphin TC3. IMO it's a great setup for the price. I probably would have gone for the DNA Backbay or the 8ft model but I really liked the 50/50 split on the Tica.

I think the Gosa might be a tad big for an 8ft but can't properly comment as mine is still on back order.

To be honest there's an abundance of choice in this range. Might be an idea to try a couple different options in a tackle shop and see what you like.

Keep us all updated on your decision. 

Good luck!

T

Thanks for the response, appreciate all the detail. Wish the Gosa came in a 4000 size, the new Twin Power looks sick but also more pricey. 

I have the 8’ DNA and think it’s a pretty sweet rod. Super light. Casts its range well. Mine is paired with a penn Clash II 4500hs. I set it up that way for albies. 

I’m not sure how you fish the back bays, but if you’re thinking the reel will get dunked, I probably wouldn’t go with the Clash. If it’ll stay pretty dry (splash here and there) its a nice lightweight reel. The 4000 is 10oz. 

The vr50 is a sweet little reel. Mine is on a 7’ rod but will do well on an 8’. 

Agree that the gosa 5k would be too heavy. Stradic and ballistic are two other reels that come to mind. 

Lots of choices out there. I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of the options mentioned in this thread. 

The 8’ DNA is a awesome back bay/light surf rod. I throw down to 3/8oz, it handles that light load great and sends a 1.5oz metal to the moon. Mine is paired with a 5k Stradic — a 5k gosa would be pretty heavy on it. My Stradics have taken more splashes than I should subject them to and are still as smooth as when I got them.

Edited by Tyger92

I use 2 set ups for light tackle, small fish. 
A 8’6” salmon rod rated 1/4 to 1 oz. with a Penn 3500V. Great for soft plastics and small jigs to 3/4 oz.

A 8 foot Lami live bait rated 1/2 to 2 oz. with a VR 50. Throws 3/8 to 1.5 real nice.

Most my spring is done with a 9 or 10 footer with a VS 150 or 200 so I can throw bigger plugs to those mid teen and up bass.

Edited by LowEnd