fishfinder401

custom spoons/ jigs from stainless steel

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

so, I was looking at some of my stainless I have for making knives and got the idea, what if I just cut some spoons and kastmaster like jigs out of it? maybe hammer some into a slight dished shape, and polish them up? I love fishing jigs and spoons but they cost so much for them to start tarnishing and having the chrome peel off... it is so much easier to justify if I am just spending the money on materials haha

Has anyone every tried something similar? and I will definitely update with any attempts I make.

Done lots of stuff with stainless. Needles, large bunker spoons, fish shaped peanut bunker. Just make a half mold out of a hard wood or aluminum  and hammer it into shape. Me I’d rather work in wood. I work in metals all day.  

D3042CED-2F48-42F1-952B-B8896A397754.jpeg

7D8B214B-E1C1-4D0F-B051-9243690EF3D0.jpeg

ooh, the wood mold gives me an idea, i wonder if i could make a mold to form them under my screw press?

any recommendations on alloys? I was thinking of using 316, but im not as familiar with stainless alloys as carbon

316 will give you a much more shiny finish once polished but it can be a bear to work with but if your not using anything too thick it will be fine. 304 just slightly easier to work with but easier to find, purchase,  in sheet stock.Be careful sanding and polishing it gets  real hot quick. 

Paul, the depth of your creativity freakin astounds me sometimes !! Those black needles  in that top pic look sick !!!   I'd joke that I hope you snap one off so I can find it washed up on the beach, but they look like they'd sink like a piece of stainless steel !!  :laugh:  All kidding aside, those are some nice pieces all around !!  Very cool !

Jim

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you. Those black ones are aluminum. They are military spec hard coat anodized. I put them in a lot of stuff we were having done at work. Too expensive to just do a few needles. I tried powder coating some and just leaving naked aluminum but they did not last long in salt water. Hard coat is only way to go with aluminum. That is why I started experimenting with stainless. 

6A49AAEF-9ACA-4DD3-9660-EA4E8D976333.jpeg

B33F8D7D-7DC2-4CB6-B328-A6575B5C239E.jpeg

Edited by Steel Pulse

On 2/25/2021 at 6:33 PM, Steel Pulse said:

316 will give you a much more shiny finish once polished but it can be a bear to work with but if your not using anything too thick it will be fine. 304 just slightly easier to work with but easier to find, purchase,  in sheet stock.Be careful sanding and polishing it gets  real hot quick. 

ooh that is good to know. I am used to working very hard steel so that shouldn't be too bad, but looks like it wont be easy finding a convenient supply of it. I do have some bars of AEB-L hanging around that i may try using for a few