atv223

Cold Water Safety Reminder!!

6 posts in this topic

I took a drive over to a nearby lake this morning just to check things out.  While there, I watched an older couple launch a SIT and SOT kayaks into the icy water.  The lake was still 1/3 covered in ice, so I have to assume the water temps are in the 30s.  They did have PFDs, but otherwise were in jeans and hoodies.

Without being judgmental, I would be surprised if they could self-rescue on a warm summer day.  I see their actions as completely reckless, but I doubt they even understood the danger they were in.   I hope they remained safe.

Kcgd6XB.jpg

uwzkGkI.jpg?1

uwzk[imghttps://i.imgur.com/uwzkGkI.jpg?1]GkI.jpg?1[/img]

Gaaah! I dunno what you do about this other than require a freaking kayak license with a mandatory safety class. Should kayaks at least come a big WARNING! card explaining the hazards of cold water and exposure so at least people aren't simply ignorant of the danger?

Its a good time in the next few weeks to start testing out what you wear on the water. You may want to hit a protected beach, perhaps a boat ramp away from current, and take a swim in your dry suit, wet suit, 2 piece waders and dry top. You test for leakage and see how it is holding up. Time yourself. Get to know the limits on what you wear. You will be surprised to see how long the exposure  time in a dry suit with multiple layers is in water in the 30's and 40's. If you can bring the kayak down and leave all the gear behind. Practice getting back in. 

Speaking of which....

has anyone used waterproof socks with neoprene boots? Boots that I have are 5mm, the outer layer of the waterproof socks will retain water but curious if the boot will warm it up, anyone ever try this?

I plan on wearing with with a wetsuit with splash pants over and a waterproof jacket. 

The ‘cover my a$$’ warning sticker no one ever reads carries some good advice. On this yak it mentions dressing appropriately for the weather and cold water. That couple may be sporting wetsuits under their outer ware.

Kevbo- with a wetsuit I wear neo sox, newspaper bag, and 5mm neo boots. I also sometimes wear drypants with integral drysox and 5mm neo boots. Both methods work for me and keep feet dry and warm.

BFED7E33-1F53-4C38-8FD8-2CF15D68E402.jpeg

23 mins ago, cheech said:

That couple may be sporting wetsuits under their outer ware.

I didn't mention this in my OP, but I spoke with them while they were unloading.  She told me they've gone kayaking a number of times in the winter but this was their first time this year.  I asked if they wore any protective clothing (nothing was visible even up close so I thought maybe they hadn't changed yet).  Her response "No, just a life jacket".  I wished them good luck.  Maybe I should have said something, but I hope at least my question got her thinking.