BillyBallGame

What’s the deal with Quantum Cabos?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

What’s the general consensus of this reel these days? I know 5 years ago lots of people were using them in the 4-8k range for heavy striper use. Seems like I don’t see them much anymore. 

some backstory—I sent 6 pretty heavily used cabos in all types of disrepair back to quantum for warranty replacement. 4 were less than a year old. I run a guiding business so my reels take a beating. most had issues with anti reverse, two with bail issues, 2 were grinding. 

quantum just sent me back 6 brand new reels. Talk about excellent customer service. My question is this: is the anti reverse and general short life of these reels well established? Did I get lemons? Should I sell these 6 reels and replace with gosas or BG MQs? 

or should I stick with quantum because they’ve done right by their product in the warranty department. I just want a reel that’s going to last the season. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Been using the Cabo 40 PTSE for light surf for years now.....any issues, they send me a NIB....what can I say. For the boat we have gossas.....can't kill'em.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

My Cabo ARs only act up when they get contaminated.  Usually it's because I put too much grease in the reel like a dummy and it found its way up there.  I love them.

18 hours ago, Kima said:

My Cabo ARs only act up when they get contaminated.  Usually it's because I put too much grease in the reel like a dummy and it found its way up there.  I love them.

At least in the 3 I've been in....They have a very heavily greased clutch out of the box.

Bought a PT 60 for a custom surf rod.  My opinion?

Extremely heavy, unusually prone to wind knots when spooled with braid, the anodized body parts chip and scratch easily and the bail is stiff.  I don't like it much.

Put it on a boat rod for a spare rig.  Have not touched it since.

I suppose that it's a good reel for noob charters on a boat because it is a fairly sturdy reel.  I think that's the niche market for these reels so long as they keep their warrantee as you describe.  I can't recall the extent of the warrantee, whether it's for life or for a period of time.  If the latter, you'll have to decide if you got your money out of them or not when it comes time to replace them out of pocket.

I’ve been beating on a 40 for 3 years, only done some cleaning and greasing. Just replaced the drag washers, several large albies in a row popped the spring off. Good solid reels

Same platform. The boca ptse has been as solid a reel as you can ask for for years. I wouldn’t hesitate to go for a cabo. 

Can’t speak for the Cabos but a big fan of the Smoke series for wading in Fl.

I own three smokes and they are my reel of choice for wet wading down here.

I also own a half dozen Stradics.

With the current 5 year warranty from Quantum I think they are a no brainer for a guide. Assuming commercial use doesn’t disqualify.

I don’t know why Quantum gets no respect from the expert reviewers except Alan Hawk?? He rates it very high in its price range.

Go figure....

My friend down in the keys swears by them, and I will forever be impressed by the week we used them to crank in dozens and dozens of large blackfin tuna and kingfish. I choose gosas for the better water resistance,   but I’m sure I’d be happy if I changed to bocas. Didn’t even know they had a 5 year warranty, may have to consider a few as boat reels.