Little

We got to shake the cobwebs off this forum!

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Get this thing back on track.  Post something.  Try to look beyond, "can you help me bla blablaaa?"  Not that help is a killer resource here, just trying to dust the rugs,

Speak UP.

Little

Ya give me some gardening tips. I’m about to attempt my first garden and not sure if I want to jump in with both feet or do it in containers.

If you have a decent place to put them in the ground I would. Container mix gets expensive and needs more effort to keep evenly watered.  In my experience tomatoes are more likely to get blossom end rot in containers, peppers, herbs, greens do fairly well. 

22 mins ago, JimW said:

If you have a decent place to put them in the ground I would. Container mix gets expensive and needs more effort to keep evenly watered.  In my experience tomatoes are more likely to get blossom end rot in containers, peppers, herbs, greens do fairly well. 

My experience has been small fruit is better in containers. I find those red, yellow & orange mini sweet peppers far more rewarding than bell peppers. Takes a while, but by Sept they're raining peppers. I also grow cherry tomatoes, no end rot. But they crap out after 1 crop even though they're indeterminate and should keep producing. But the best container crop is green beans. You can feed a family from 1 barrel with a trellis.

I use drip watering in all my containers.  Next project is a 330 gal rainwater capture system from my 1000 ft roof in a used IBC tote. My city is raising their water rates again.

Drip set up would definitely be better for containers.  I was going to skip containers this year but just bought a bale of pro mix.  I’ll try some beans on your recommendation. 

A new chicken salad preparation specifically for smoked chicken.

Its standard shred chicken, mayo herbs etc, BUT do this.  Prior to making, Do a brunouise of a couple veg-you pick-celery, onion carrot pepper etc.  soak in vinegar for a few hours, like a pickle but no sugar.  Take out of the vinegar and dry off as best you can.  Add that to the salad.  Something tart to go against the mayo and smoky rich flavors.

My oldest (ex chef-like real chef) did this for me last week.  Very nice.

If you have a sous vide  (another tip from number one son)

Pound (or more) of salted butter.  Three heads of garlic cut in half.  A bouquet garni of herbs (tie it up well so the leaves dont get loose) of your choice, I went with just thyme.

In a ziplock bag.  175 degrees for at least 4 hours, I went 5.

When you are done, the milk solids are all at the bottom of the bag.  Carefully pour it off, and you have the most wonderful clarified garlic butter ever.

Double bonus-you also have three heads of confit garlic!

Can do it with any herb preparations you want as well.

WOW