Captain Tuttle

Fluke & Cod Rod

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Any suggestions for a fluke and cod rod that can handle a Norwegian Jig offshore as well as 16 oz. of lead to keep the fluke jig on bottom at the Nantucket shoals?  

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Any suggestions for a fluke and cod rod that can handle a Norwegian Jig offshore as well as 16 oz. of lead to keep the fluke jig on bottom at the Nantucket shoals?  

I have been happy with my Tsunami TSSPJ-C761XH which is a 7 1/2 foot, spiral wrapped rod that says it is for 40-65 pound braid. For what you want to do, pair it with a Maxell Hybred 20 and 40 pound braid and you will be happy. My only misgiving is the size of the guides near the tip (too small) so I do not add a mono top shot because even an FG knot is not always good enough to make me happy with it. I have not had any issue/downside with trying the rig direct to the braid anyway.

Good luck!

Edited by jason colby

Thanks.  That looks like a winner.  The medium action is what I was missing.  I had some fast-action rods and I had a lot of missed and inferior hooksets, especially with big cod.  

If you thread your main line thru a top shot of hollow core ,using a simple tapestry needle ,finishing it with a minute film of gorilla glue...you have no knots ...extremely strong...or change the tip guide

3 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

If you thread your main line thru a top shot of hollow core ,using a simple tapestry needle ,finishing it with a minute film of gorilla glue...you have no knots ...extremely strong...or change the tip guide

I have tried this method on numerous occasions and have experiences "eventual" 100% failure.

At issue is that it works great "for awhile" but eventually, something gives. For example, the last time I tried was about 3 years ago, I put 7 flounder rods on the boat for "Quincy Flounder Season" (6 for the customers and one for me). They all had a topshot of hollow core braid and I set the 12 foot mono lead deep (18 inches) into the hollow stuff and finished with waterproof, flexible epoxy. On some I tried a little wrap with hitches to keep the hollow core tight. 

Some of them lasted as much as a month or 5 weeks, most failed in between 2 and three weeks. All of the failures were on slack line/when the sinker hit the bottom so what I think is the glue and/or the wrap eventually loosen up and allow the hollow core to open up and release the mono. To prevent that, one would have to stay very vigilant all the time and with the interchange of users on my boat, that would be next to impossible.

2 hours ago, jason colby said:

I have been happy with my Tsunami TSSPJ-C761XH which is a 7 1/2 foot, spiral wrapped rod that says it is for 40-65 pound braid. For what you want to do, pair it with a Maxell Hybred 20 and 40 pound braid and you will be happy. My only misgiving is the size of the guides near the tip (too small) so I do not add a mono top shot because even an FG knot is not always good enough to make me happy with it. I have not had any issue/downside with trying the rig direct to the braid anyway.

Good luck!

Really jason. ;)

how's the gimbal working out?

28 mins ago, 1ife said:

Really jason. ;)

how's the gimbal working out?

What gimbal?

You on drugs down there? Residents of South Carolina should have a disclaimer of some sort along with their posts. Something like: "this guys must be forgiven because....."

Cms has bottom rods on glass batson blanks. Swb70mh (7’) or swb80mh.

Also the rain shadow rclb 70m makes a great all around boat rod for what you described.

22 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

what reel ?

deeper / bigger / heavier fluking like nantucket shoals i like my shimano tzc70mh w/ a talica 12 or 16 or shimano tzs72mh with a gossa 6k or 8k depending on the drift and weight needed.

cod - similar unless its flat calm slack tide i’ll go down to a tvs66mh with a gossa 5k.

14 hours ago, nicknotsebastian said:

what reel ?

deeper / bigger / heavier fluking like nantucket shoals i like my shimano tzc70mh w/ a talica 12 or 16 or shimano tzs72mh with a gossa 6k or 8k depending on the drift and weight needed.

cod - similar unless its flat calm slack tide i’ll go down to a tvs66mh with a gossa 5k.

Torium and two Avet SXs.  I typically have to use 16 oz sinker on the shoals. I never thought about bringing a terez/gossa combo.  That might be my backup rod, or I could pair it with the Torium.

i like spinning except for super deep - like cod fishing in norway.  the fish can be down 300 meters.  you want that extra gear.

conventional i like my terez conventionals.

never have any problems with leaders.  i tend to use solid braid to bimini to wind ons for heavier test (60#+) and just knot anything smaller.