Angler 5511

Shore Jigging

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm new to this forum and a beginner in fishing world. Right now I have been doing research for what fishing gear to buy and I really like shore jigging and possibly shore slow techniques. I have few questions that perhaps some of the more experienced members can share their thoughts and what their experience has been with jigging. By more experienced I mean probably around 99.9% of this forum. For fishing around Jones Beach, Robert Moses, and Sunken Meadows by casting from the shore, maybe pier and jigging. 

1. Does Jigging work around the above areas?

2. Does jigs getting stuck a common issue? Found some info that some people lose lots of jigs in some areas in other parts of the world, probably can get expensive. 

3. For jigging at the above areas what is a good line weight/rod (expect light shore jigging I guess, not into tiny fish idea) for a beginner without losing larger opportunities if possible, but I understand better not to start too heavy as jigging takes lots of movement. 

4. Good source of jigs and types if you have had success and willing to share. Good Jig sizes/weights to try for above areas.

5. Any other hints and tips you can offer specific to the above areas or in general

Thanks in advance

So I think we need to clarify one thing right off the bat, and that is your definition of "jigging". Are you referring to the "slow pitch jigging" technique? 

Jigging is a very broad term in the world of fishing and can encompass many different styles, so some clarity will help.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Welcome!  

Your gonna lose gear.  Impossible not to.  

I would look at jig heads and soft plastics. 

Curly tail grubs, paddle tail shads, sand eels. Etc.  

1/4oz to 2oz heads.  

Easiest way would be to goto the commerical BST part of the forum and buy them from Dan the Tinman.  He makes solid stuff with good strong hooks.   Then buy what ever tails u want

Edited by PSegnatelli

44 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

... your definition of "jigging". Are you referring to the "slow pitch jigging" technique? ..

Hi, I'm referring to general jigging while casting from the shore. Using a jig while spinning that swirls in the water due to its shape and doing various rod actions. Not slow pitch jigging done from the boat in deep waters.

@PSegnatelli - noted, tnks

What I've been doin the past few days.   

Rigging plastics.   Bit of superglue to hold them.    Most of the jig heads I poured myself(painted were bought) but all are available to buy.  I have alot of time to pour. I'd buy them if I didn't. 

20210225_103723.jpg

20210225_103849.jpg

Sizes from 3/8s to 2oz shown.  

Swimshads are good too.  Stuff from Storm & Tsunami. 16142684140843057970385814559.jpg.1be6beca4cdd6e7e3c82fe0d8fd6b99a.jpg

All simple to use.   Cast and retrieve at the most basic level.  Vary your speed & weights. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

Also look at metals

Kastmaster, Crippled Herring, Keeled squid etc.  I like 1/2oz to 2oz. Usually staying around 1oz. But all personal choice. 

Super easy.   Whip em out. Reel em in.  Slow is best but don't be afraid to try out different speeds 

20210225_110231.jpg

Edited by PSegnatelli

I think you're sort of starting off with some misconceptions. It almost sounds like you're used to fishing elsewhere in the world? The ways you are describing fishing sound a lot like when I lived in Singapore for example. You won't really "shore jig" or use "shore slow techniques" in the sense you mean I think. At the very least no one really uses those terms. You'll cast lures from shore certainly (often called plugging). There are mountains of resources for fishing the Mid Atlantic and Northeast shore with lures. Lures can be metal lures (most similar to what you are describing, plastic and wooden plugs, or soft plastics. Go google "plugging for striped bass" or something similar.

Edited by Crabcakes

On 2/25/2021 at 9:52 AM, Angler 5511 said:

Hi, I'm referring to general jigging while casting from the shore. Using a jig while spinning that swirls in the water due to its shape and doing various rod actions. Not slow pitch jigging done from the boat in deep waters.

@PSegnatelli - noted, tnks

Excellent, and to answer your questions, 

1) Jigging works everywhere in the world, but Striped Bass and Bluefish are especially fond of jigs/jigging techniques. Other fish you can catch in those places, such as flounder and false albacore, also respond well to jigs.

2) Jigging over sandy beaches greatly reduces snags, and they are uncommon on the open beaches in those mentioned locations. If you fish an inlet where there are rocks, if you fish the jig on the bottom or let it sink too much before retrieving, you can lose a lot of jigs/tackle.

3) Rod length/strength is up for debate, but it's best to understand the jigs you'd fish, and match the rod to the lure weight and fish you're trying to catch. Most people fish lures/jigs in the 1-3oz range, so the rod should handle those weights. Most folks like rods between 9-10.5 feet long or so, in a medium or medium heavy strength.

4) The best locations for local knowledge/local lure recommendations would be your local tackle shop. Where you buy your lures ultimately is up to you, but don't forget the local mom and pop shops that make up our local fishing areas. Good lures to buy would be the ones listed by PSegnatelli listed above.

5) Striped bass and bluefish are seasonal fish. They migrate in and out of our waters in the spring and fall. You'll find better striped bass fishing in those areas in the spring and fall months. Summer months bring flounder, false albacore, and other fish close to shore. Most of all, just keep trying. The fish are there.

To clearly make a point: your jig (whatever type) should be fished almost  on the bottom without dragging the bottom. So, probably lighter and slower than you imagine. With a heavier weight, too much speed is required to keep it off the bottom. So, use the lightest weight that will get you there. 

On 2/25/2021 at 10:49 AM, PSegnatelli said:

...Rigging plastics... poured myself..

wow, this is great, good amount of creativity too goes into it!! Thanks for the tips.

On 2/25/2021 at 2:57 PM, Crabcakes said:

...It almost sounds like you're used to fishing elsewhere in the world? ..

No, I'm a newbie gathering info. I'm guilty of somehow starting to watching Japanese videos with English subtitles first, have no idea how, but I kept going and did look up stripped bass, understand what you mean now. Terminology in japan and Europe is very different. Japanese manufacturers make rods specifically for shore jigging segment, local terminology is mostly different. 

@TopwaterPete & @Paul E - thanks for tips and hints, very helpful. 

Right now, I'm thinking about gear, spoke to an acquaintance who fishes off the boat, gave some suggestions even though he does not fish from the shore. First was buy best rod and reel, then best reel, cheap rod, lol I'm getting confused. Visited Dick's yesterday, tried out few rods. Too bad they were all cheap.

Also, since I would be fishing on near the beach, I was recommended Van Staal or Zeebas due to sand blowing with wind, but their gear ratios look slow and they are heavy. Looking at 9'6-10'  rod to par it with  up to 30 lbs line and 40" retrieval or so. For surf fishing they look fine but for constantly reeling their gaskets cause resistance based on reviews. Will look for more stores that may have it where you can try it.

What do you recommend for the reel for beach fishing conditions? 

Very easy to powder paint leadheads.   Harbor Freight has white for us pikers and the mouth of the jar is wide enough to stick a jig inside while gripped by vice grips.

I think you just need to buy a rod/reel and some lures and figure out what works.There are hundreds of ways to catch fish.

Edited by IslandSurf

shore jigging works extremely well during summer and fall when sandeels are silversides are everywhere. I found 40g or 1.5oz metal/ tin/ jigs works in most situation but not all. Your choice or rod depends on the choice of your lure, your choice of reel depends on the line that you are going to use. Of course you will see some using a 9ft ugly stick with a penn reel to fish bait, plugs, tin and even use it on the boat. But I suggest you go observe what others are using and ask why.

On 2/24/2021 at 10:33 PM, Angler 5511 said:

Hello, I'm new to this forum and a beginner in fishing world. Right now I have been doing research for what fishing gear to buy and I really like shore jigging and possibly shore slow techniques. I have few questions that perhaps some of the more experienced members can share their thoughts and what their experience has been with jigging. By more experienced I mean probably around 99.9% of this forum. For fishing around Jones Beach, Robert Moses, and Sunken Meadows by casting from the shore, maybe pier and jigging. 

1. Does Jigging work around the above areas?

2. Does jigs getting stuck a common issue? Found some info that some people lose lots of jigs in some areas in other parts of the world, probably can get expensive. 

3. For jigging at the above areas what is a good line weight/rod (expect light shore jigging I guess, not into tiny fish idea) for a beginner without losing larger opportunities if possible, but I understand better not to start too heavy as jigging takes lots of movement. 

4. Good source of jigs and types if you have had success and willing to share. Good Jig sizes/weights to try for above areas.

5. Any other hints and tips you can offer specific to the above areas or in general

Thanks in advance

You sound like me when I first started. Very passionate but at the same time reading and watching too much. Time to get in the game. Get out there and fish. Enjoy it. You will learn super quickly if you put time in

i will try to answer your questions

1. Yes jigging works 

2. Yes jigs get stuck. Mark yourself down for a good 5-10 jigs completely lost in the beginning bc you have not a clue what you are doing. After you put some time in you will know exactly where your jig is and your snags/lost tackle will come a lot less frequently.

3. Such a wide range of responses because you need to know WHERE you are fishing and WHAT you are targeting. My shore fluke set up is 7’6 rod with a super light reel and 15lb braid. My bass/blues set up range from 9’-10’6 with 20-30lb braid. Do not go heavier then 30lb braid. Just my very humble opinion. 
4. forget the good jigs for now. Your gonna lose stuff in the beginning. In general when jigging, you want to go as light as possible. This may 1/8 oz or 3-4 oz depending on where you are fishing and when in the tide it is. Again this is stuff ya gotta go out and do to feel and learn

5. fish whenever you can. The more you fish the more you will learn. Respect the beaches and the people you see on em. And most importantly treat the fish with respect and practice catch and release.

By the way, all of this info comes from a guy that started 18 months ago and has not a clue what the hell he is doing.

I do catch some fish tho!