Dave Peros

Dangers of the Names Given to Flies and Their Connection to Sexual Violence

Rate this topic

358 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Edited by TimS
Not the Tavern, Joey, we don't use that language outside the Tavern, even though it's autocensored.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:52 PM, flyangler said:

I have signed versions of Gallup's first and second streamer books. The pages of those books are somewhat worn from me pawing over them for years. 

I just checked and I own more than a few Sex Dungeons and a couple of articulated T&As as well. I am sure I own at least two Butt Monkeys and one or more Bottom's Ups. Belly Bumpers  and Menage A Dungeons too. 

Oh, and I own some Stacked Blondes as well, KG's take on  Joe Brooke's classic Blonde pattern. 

Oh, and I own at least a dozen or more regular and articulated Zoo Cougars. Some are old enough to have beentied by Kelly or one of his guys at The Troutsman before Kelly moved to The Slide area. 

Does that make me a pervert?

no more than usual 

It's an interesting conversation and equally interesting how societal norms have changed so dramatically over the years.  What would've gotten you kicked out of places in the past is now commonplace in virtually every discussion.

I mean look at the dialogue on any TV show where they 'say' expletives without 'saying' the expletive, "I don't effing care..."

And then there's the name of some of these shows....Schitt's Creek....really?  

Slippery slope and some would argue that we're sliding fast. 

@Ladyfish thank you, sincerely, for your thoughtful comments. Helps appreciate the spectrum of opinions. 

Now, curiosity, what is being added to the collection, Imelda? 

Ladyfish

I too appreciated your  thoughtful response.

It does make me feel sad that it is necessary for women to fish with company to be safe.

That is a difficult pill to swallow I guess and infringes on your freedom hugely.

Nice to hear you are adding to your fly gear.

Tight lines

Mike

On 2/24/2021 at 5:28 PM, Phil K said:

"Hands trembling. Heart pounding. Squinting at the monitor through tears." 

This guy's just so woke. The white knight we've all been waiting for!

Stole my thunder.

I actually dont believe that to be true.  I think this entire thing is a woke sham.

He doesnt like the names of some flies.  So he trembled and cried?  I simply dont believe that.

So what to do with the rest of the article?  Ill read later in detail, but I have strong convictions about cultural Marxism, Frankfurt School political theory.  And that is what this is, no more or less.

Stand by

8 hours ago, Ladyfish said:

Several have commented they would like to hear from some lady fly fishers. So, here's one...

I was lucky that my DH took me fly fishing, talked me into getting casting lessons and gave me the space to make my own mistakes and learn. Over the years I have heard some of the comments that came his way whenever I was around. And, some he shared with me late at night. My favorite is the guy that empathized that it must be really difficult to have the wifey around when he's fishing. His response was "No, she's fine. It's my father-in-law that drives me nuts." 

I have never felt threatened on the beach, in a boat or standing in a river. I strive to carry my own weight, don't complain about being cold or having to pee (yes, plumbing is difficult). 

I have been handed more "beginner rods" than I care to count, instructed in the fine arts of casting by bumbling idiots and other insensitive behaviors. Fortunately, I have also felt the pride of quietly  out catching the guys on a charter and then hearing the Mate extoll my success. 

If a gal spends the time to learn and love fly fishing she earns respect. She knows when she's being treated "right".  She also knows when she is being treated "wrong" and fun is made at her expense. She is taught by other women to never fish alone. We teach personal awareness and safety. 

Back to the original question; I understand the names and the bawdy humor. And as long as that's all it is, OK, call it what you want. I'll have my own nick-names for them. But, if it takes a different direction and real people get hurt, that is a different story. 

And, to all the guys that taught me fly fishing, "Thank you from my heart!" 

I've sold some gear and I'm adding to Imelda's Fly Reel collection again ;)

Do most men turn their heads as not to witness you out catching them ? Go ahead tell us the truth .  Thanks for sharing 

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, flyangler said:

"Now, curiosity, what is being added to the collection, Imelda?" 

My DH compares my fly reel collection to Imelda Marcos' shoe collection. Instead of buying high end shoes and handbags, my taste runs to Ross and Tibor. 

Edited by Ladyfish

Just now, Ladyfish said:

My DH compares my quantity of my fly reel collection to Imelda Marcos' shoe collection. Instead of buying high end shoes and handbags, my taste runs to Ross and Tibor. 

Oh, I get that Imelda, I was curious what your recent sales were making room for. 

My wife does not fish, she once bought handbags, but nothing substantial in the past decade or so. That said, she has more brown "leather" items with an L and V on them than I care to think about, some 30+ years old and still looking good. 

33 mins ago, Hook I said:

Do most men turn their heads as not to witness you out catching them ? Go ahead tell us the truth .  Thanks for sharing 

I have no idea. I'm too busy fishing to notice ;)

7 mins ago, flyangler said:

I was curious what your recent sales were making room for. 

Covid closet cleaning yielded various and sundry bits of fly fishing gear that we have not used in years. With 2 fly fishers we have accumulated a lot of gear and we are now "fine tuning" the collection to those items that we really use. Between us we have more than 70 years of accumulating! All proceeds from the sale of used gear is going into a) guided trip(s) or b) more gear.

Ok....this thread has given me some inspiration....Running down to the basement now to spin up a couple of new patterns. I am going to start with the names, "Blumpkin" and the "Dirty Sanchez". Pics to follow...