Dave Peros

Dangers of the Names Given to Flies and Their Connection to Sexual Violence

Rate this topic

358 posts in this topic

Ever notice how movies and tv predict the future?

Remember the movie “Demolition Man” with Sly Stone?

A machine will spit out fines for using profanity.

This woke stuff is how this starts and “Demo Man” is where it will end up.

Yes ..... I've let the thread continue, in part as a gesture of respect to Dave Peros. My own gut reflex is that the author of the post that he quotes is a weepy, virtue-signaling clown, but that's not a good reason to move it to the Pit - either the Tavern or PG, according to taste.

By this time I assume everyone with an opinion on the OP has had a chance to express himself. I'll be back later (probably tomorrow) to reread and then it goes off to be a chew toy in one the aforementioned Forums.

A nod of respect to FlyAngler for responding to the author on his own website. If he shows up here (I hope not) the aggressions will not be microaggressions.

On 2/25/2021 at 8:39 AM, Drew C. said:

There are million other things in my life and the world that are far more important and concerning than the names of some flies. 

Seriously ....get a job.  This is waste of band width.

16 mins ago, flyfishvt said:

Seriously ....get a job.  This is waste of band width.

The fly names cause you great butthurt?

Edited by Drew C.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

The fly names cause you great butthurt?

Believe I quoted the wrong post...Drew, agree with yours whole heartedly!   A waste of valuable fishing time to worry about fly names....

On 2/25/2021 at 11:19 AM, Nite_Bite_00 said:

you'll get some leg tonight for sure...one break coming up !!!!!! UNCHAINED!!!

Crazy mashup!

Just like Ben Stiller's character in "Along Came Polly" regarding Indian food being

too spicy for him and he says (paraphrasing here) "....yea but I love it!".

Deadly Dick ain’t no fly. Just sayin. Been around a long time now. Nobody ever wines about that. WTF is tin exempt from the crying ? Get a life. He’s a spot burner as well. 

4 hours ago, DAQ said:

:headscratch: Why would you move this thread?

Because it's less about fly fishing than about politicized language.

" The most woke are the most easily offended, when it conforms to their ideology, but that offense is malleable in this day and age. "  FlyAngler is right.  The original site's closing the matter to further discussion (unless the comment is favorable), with a suggestion that people who disagree find some other forum to explain away their moral inferiority, says a lot.

Dave will pick up no end of crap in either the PG or the Tavern if I move this, especially since he - rather than Jay - is the one who created the connection between fly names and sexual violence. I'm loathe to do that to him. So I'll leave it here, and pray not to see anything from Jay, or Moldy Chum, again.

23 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Dave will pick up no end of crap in either the PG or the Tavern if I move this, especially since he - rather than Jay - is the one who created the connection between fly names and sexual violence. I'm loathe to do that to him. So I'll leave it here, and pray not to see anything from Jay, or Moldy Chum, again.

Why don't you lock it then ?

On 2/25/2021 at 7:30 AM, sinfish said:

I applaud this article.  I think that the casual fisherman finds this to be another attack on some God given freedom, but to the person that fishes every day, ties every day, takes clients out everyday and looks at this stuff in their shop everyday, you can see how its effecting him.  Jay seems to question whether he works at an Adult novelty shop or trying to get people (kids and women included) into the sport of fishing.  This is his experience and its valid.

So if you own a business selling flies.....you pick what flies you sell.

If you fly fish....you pick what flies you fish.
If you tie flies.....you pick what flies you tie.

I’m not getting why grandpa would tie a “sex dungeon” for his little grand daughter anyhow. sounds like he has a problem.........Anyone going to remove the decal from their Sea Nymph boat? 

If you let the woke types gain any ground at all, you will be writing about casting a fishing implement.