fmtuna

Absecon Island ... Bay disaster

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So if you did not see it on the regional news. the main sewage line to the ACUA Treatment plant that runs through Ventnor NJ broke open on Monday and has been spewing sewage since then.  There is no way to cut this main off, and the sewage from 60,000 people and related waste is now being dumped into the bay behind Ventnor.  It will most likely take them until Friday to build out a temporary solution around the underground break and until then....4 Million Gallons of raw, untreated sewage is being dumped into the marshs behind Ventnor and the bay through the storm sewers... every day...

It is beyond comprehension what this is going to do to the environment and wildlife back there.... along with the kind of gunk the clam, crab and fish population is going to be absorbing from it for years to come... 

Resonse from one of the local Commissioners.... take fewer showers, it will cut down on the wastewater.... comment fromt he ACUA... the environment is pretty resiliant... UFB!!!

https://www.nj.com/atlantic/2021/02/its-green-and-it-stinks-raw-sewage-flooding-jersey-shore-town-causes-bay-contamination-concerns.html 

Edited by fmtuna

1 hour ago, yosco said:

Have ACOE put sand on it.

Yeah, they've had plenty of practice with beach replenishment. Out of sight, out of mind. 

But seriously, what a fiasco. :dismay:

1 I would not eat clams period anytime soon. 

2. sucks but most likely the population growth at shore taxing infrastructure. No different than places like north jersey lakes like hopatcong where summer residences converted to year round residential. Septic systems unable to handle waste eventually leaching into lake ie excessive plant, algae and blue green algae blooms.

3. Better now when there is more freshwater runoff And hopefully now a lot of rain this weekend. 

unfortunately dilution is solution to pollution 

This is wild to me. I work for a water and sewer utility. It’s a logistics issue. They don’t have the material to make the bypass quickly, but there are other companies / utilities / contractors that do. Make it happen because this isn’t acceptable. 

you better bet the D.E.P. Will make a happy home up their azz over this. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, HenryM said:

This is wild to me. I work for a water and sewer utility. It’s a logistics issue. They don’t have the material to make the bypass quickly, but there are other companies / utilities / contractors that do. Make it happen because this isn’t acceptable. 

you better bet the D.E.P. Will make a happy home up their azz over this. 

This is exactly what is blowing my mind over this... how is it even a little bit possible, that these "saddles" they need to attach to these standard pipes have to be specially fabricated in Texas, and then shipped here before they can do the bypass?  You trying to tell me that there nobody... NOBODY... in the State has them when these old 27" sewage mains are all over the freakin place?  This is in the neighboring town of Ventnor, but I promise you I am going to be all over the Commissioners here in our town to make sure that there is a contingency plan in the event something like this happens here again.

How about the homeowners that are wading thru this every single day to got to their residences.... talk about a s**t show....

Edited by fmtuna

We had a blow out on a 36” water main about 5 years ago in a weird spot that was a transition between reinforced concrete main and steel main. It took us about 12 hours to source the parts that were in stock at a yard about an hour away.

im not saying it’s impossible that the parts can’t be sourced. But I’m also pretty confident that you can have it fabricated closer than Texas with less lead time. 

Sounds like la ka ka might be tainting L B I FOR A BIT.....but don't worry n.j. Dep will say no no there's no problem ...almost as good as covid disappearing last summer.....way to much tax revenue will be lost....but then again this is Jersey .....any thing goes lol lol lol ...if it hasn't happened in New Jersey it hasn't been invented yet...lol lol lol now about those black flies on l b i ....dig  down 10 inches on l b i you might find the mosquito killer they sprayed by jeep in the late 60s lol lol lol....clouding up every street so bad you could not see across the street..lol lol lol 

Does this have anything to do with the barge under the Brigantine bridge?  I see they put up what looks to be some of that netting they use for spills.  At least that's what it looked like at a quick glance. 

8 hours ago, Potato Caboose said:

Guys who do monitoring For NJDEP in back bays for water quality are solid people. Love guys who have no idea what there talking about

This is the internet everyone's an expert on everything.

The fishing has sucked for a decade and it's getting worse(I live in Longport) between the extra sand and sewage this is typical for AC - clueless politicos whonjave been running AC for too long have no idea how to fix a problem like this.

Well after a week, the by-pass was installed on Saturday, and all the residents lept for joy that their neighborhood has been freed from the spewing sewage... lots of back slappin going on, but i wonder if and when anybody is going to show up at a city meeting and ask why we ended up dumping 40-50 million gallons of waste in thebay?