Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nr1730

4000 or 5000 shield for 9’3” rod

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Curious for opinions. I have a 9’3” tsunami airwaves elite rod that I’m looking to pair with a 4000 or 5000 tsunami shield reel. In addition to lures, I also throw hi-low rigs with 3-4 oz of lead for porgies etc. 

which size would you choose? There is a decent difference in weight between the two. 

+1 on the 5K size recommendation. I have the 8'6 Airwave Elite and a 4500 Spinfisher balances great on it. Any larger rod I'd definitely want something larger. The larger reel gives you a little more pulling power too.

On 2/24/2021 at 10:27 AM, Matteo78 said:

The 5000 will balance better

Just curios,

What that means?

Will balanced better?

Balance how?

On 2/23/2021 at 10:29 PM, nr1730 said:

Curious for opinions. I have a 9’3” tsunami airwaves elite rod that I’m looking to pair with a 4000 or 5000 tsunami shield reel. In addition to lures, I also throw hi-low rigs with 3-4 oz of lead for porgies etc. 

which size would you choose? There is a decent difference in weight between the two. 

Thats a VERY stiff rod for throwing lures, if im not mistaken its a 3-5oz.

it is very stiff... i frankly didn't realize when i bought and am trying to make the best of it.  learning...

12 hours ago, nr1730 said:

it is very stiff... i frankly didn't realize when i bought and am trying to make the best of it.  learning...

You may be better of using that rod for chunk and bait fishing.

You do not need to worry about balancing that rod; it is bait fishing and most of the time it will be stick on the rod holder.

Plugging is a different game.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2/26/2021 at 10:29 AM, nr1730 said:

It can be used in the inlets for bucktailing or throwing shads. Or bait fishing. For plugging open beaches, not so much..

For porgies in the inlet, should work great.

Edited by Batman67

Decent bait/jetty rod and a 5000 size reel would go well with it up in the north fork which is where I'm assuming you're fishing. Look into getting a lighter 10-foot rod for fishing boulder fields and albies that you can switch your reel in between. 1 reel 2 rods.