pilotman

Yellow Perch?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Just got reminded today from my cellphone of pics I've taken on this day in years past. One was a pic of a bucket of Yellow Perch I had caught 3 years ago. That was a warm week though.  I know it's been a cold February this year but I have a feeling they are here. Anyone hook up yet? I'm thinking about heading out tomorrow afternoon with my son for our first fishing of the year. Need to find minnows. Any info would be appreciated. 

Gave it a try this afternoon but got the skunk. It was quite crowded surprisingly, but I didn't see anyone hook up. I did hear that a couple small males were caught this morning so the run is just in the beginning stages. The weather today was really nice so I'm hoping it's gonna jump start the run in the coming days...

2 hours ago, The Mad Deckhand said:

Don't wait till you start getting reports, by then its too late. 

Go yourself and if you don't catch in about 20 minutes, call it off and return in a day or two. 

Thanks Mad Deckhand. I went again yesterday late afternoon after work ,on an incoming tide. I heard of a few small males so it's still early. Will try again in a few days. I told my little guy patience is a virtue and it's called fishing not catching. Haha.....not sure if a 5 year old cares much about pep talk..:point:

10 mins ago, pilotman said:

Thanks Mad Deckhand. I went again yesterday late afternoon after work ,on an incoming tide. I heard of a few small males so it's still early. Will try again in a few days. I told my little guy patience is a virtue and it's called fishing not catching. Haha.....not sure if a 5 year old cares much about pep talk..:point:

I used to take my son fishing all the time. He never liked it, but he had a boat and he would pole around while I fished. He's in the hospital now and our days of hanging out on the water are gone like the high tide. 

5 mins ago, The Mad Deckhand said:

I used to take my son fishing all the time. He never liked it, but he had a boat and he would pole around while I fished. He's in the hospital now and our days of hanging out on the water are gone like the high tide. 

Ugh...damn...so sorry to hear, especially in this covid era. My heart goes out to you and your son. I sincerely hope things work out well with him. Hope and prayers....

Went out late afternoon with the little one to see if the run was getting better. Nada. Last week of February is usually on where I fish but because the last couple of weeks have been chilly the water still needs to warm up a couple degrees more. Talked to the park ranger and he said he's only seen 5 perch this past week. Now I'm determined to get the little guy on his first Yellow Perch run. Will Post pics when we catch

On 2/26/2021 at 10:33 PM, The Mad Deckhand said:

That's sad to hear. I hope it works out soon.

Went fishing today at Allen's Fresh in southern MD. Wasn't getting any bites unti I changed to 2 MATCHING crappy jigs.caught a nice female and a hood sized male, next time, I get my jigs set right. 

20210303_164848.jpg

Took the little one this afternoon, and he finally caught a catfish on his own. He saw the bite and reeled it in. His first fish from shore. As we were packing to leave, a few white perch and yellow perch started coming in. All males but finally this warm spell is pushing fish up rivers.

thumbnail_IMG_20210311_172028.jpg

Went again this afternoon trying to get the little guy on the yellow  perch run. The white perch are starting to become more common. Males, so not on yet, but Matthew hooked up to a Snakehead. Not bad for a 5 year old. haha. The yellow perch is still not on...I'm questioning that maybe it has passed but I've been after them last 3 weeks....gonna give it another week. The basement reno is finally completed! Now I can tune the big rod and reels for the may trip.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ty5GEX8gxDS598Cs8

thumbnail_IMG_20210312_234852.jpg