putty

Feather lite resin lure making

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

First time experimenting with 2 part silicon molds and Feather Lite resin.  My initial plan was to create a through wired redfin lure with a belly swivel integrated into the bait.  After a handful of trial & error lures with various weight placements I finally came up with one that swims pretty darn true to what I envisioning.  I ended up taking a couple casts of additional productive lure style (6" pencil, "Mully" style spook)

Silicon Mold Material:  Smooth-On MoldStar 20T

Urethane Resin:  Smooth-On Feather Lite

Also messing around with an airbrush and lure painting for the first time, so its been a fun learning experience.  My painting skills are certainly amateur at best, but picking some tried & true simple color patterns should make them fishy enough.

Didn't see much in a search on here for Featherlite in the last few years-  suspecting that this is a good starter material (but limited in applicability being as buoyant is it is), and people making resin baits have moved onto other materials making their own blends of resins and adding microballoons for buoyancy as needed.

original concept:  weighting was way off...swam terribly.  Final design removed the small weight behind the chin and ended up with just a 1/8 oz bullet weight in the tail.  Initial plan for a horizontal line tie was abandoned as I had issues keeping the wire centered on the bait. 

20201122_234558_resized.jpg.6d44e1c11a8f5462db25cd91d4773ebb.jpg

1st 2 rounds of painting and epoxying.  A bit rough, but certainly functional enough.  Also my first attempts at doing tail wraps, which I can generously declare to still be a work in progress :laugh:

20210220_192127_resized.jpg.ccd9ef29115f7c1402c1c479300e81a2.jpg

Slowed down my painting and epoxying process, and using a better quality and larger 3D eyes on the most recent paints-  pleased with how the herring pattern turned out

20210221_141911_resized.jpg.bfc2d8ca466dac3793c4e9e46e7940ca.jpg

All in all a a fun experiment and I got a number of viable baits made.  Anyone out there messing around with resins this winter?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Would putting birdshot in the mold while its still liquid work?  Im thinking you might be able to fill the lip with some bird shot.   Maybe get a unique action.  I can send you some bird shot if you dont have any and want to try it.

Edited by t_man7

Might give you a pikie esk type action.  I’m thinking it could be a very effective thing for a herring run.

Edited by t_man7

Thanks bud!  I definitely have some #8 bird shot around and also Tungsten BB's.

The baits definitely have a little bit of roll to them, but I didn't think it was excessive.  The less weight I added, the better they swam.  At the end of the day, we'll see what the fish think :laugh: 

I need to re-up on more resin for the next rounds of baits-  I will definitely consider the bird shot.

9 mins ago, putty said:

Thanks bud!  I definitely have some #8 bird shot around and also Tungsten BB's.

The baits definitely have a little bit of roll to them, but I didn't think it was excessive.  The less weight I added, the better they swam.  At the end of the day, we'll see what the fish think :laugh: 

I need to re-up on more resin for the next rounds of baits-  I will definitely consider the bird shot.

Where can you get the feather lite resin?

13 mins ago, t_man7 said:

Where can you get the feather lite resin?

I'm in the greater Boston area and picked it up at a local shop called Reynolds Advanced Materials-  they have a few shops around the US.

3 hours ago, putty said:

20210221_141911_resized.jpg.bfc2d8ca466dac3793c4e9e46e7940ca.jpg

All in all a a fun experiment and I got a number of viable baits made.  Anyone out there messing around with resins this winter?

I would love to try resin. The pink and blue ones came out very nicely. Well done. On the weighting though, you might want to try weighting much closer to the middle of the bait, like a bit behind where the first hook is. The weight provides a pivot point for the tail to wag back and forth. You might try lightly weighting it somewhere near there. Nice baits!

off to a nice start putty. Did u look on you tube? There's a ton of info and step by step instructions these days. I prefer learning by trial and error myself and when I started there were limited resources so didn't have much choice. I would keep experimenting seems like you have already learned alot.

On 2/23/2021 at 5:27 PM, BassAssasin said:

off to a nice start putty. Did u look on you tube? There's a ton of info and step by step instructions these days. I prefer learning by trial and error myself and when I started there were limited resources so didn't have much choice. I would keep experimenting seems like you have already learned alot.

Yep-  tons of you tube videos from all the usual suspects to get me started-  Smooth-On, Alumilite, Make Lure, SolarBaits, Marling Baits, Engineered Angler, etc...tons of information out there to get some inspiration from and start messing around. 

I basically just followed the steps outlined in this video from Smooth-On (hopefully not an issue to share this youtube link):

At a minimum, the molds are made and pleased with how they came out.  Now to start refining swimming action, weighting options for different scenarios/locations, tightening up my airbrush skills, etc.

All in an effort to slightly improve a perfectly functional $8 plastic lure...which likely doesn't need much improving  :laugh:

Ha, everyone trying to build a better mouse trap. There's a ton of talented guys building plugs these days. I think Solar has some impressive carving skills. The way he carves scales is hard to believe, I have tried but never like how they turn out. Hard to beat EA when it comes to the physics of the hobby. Ive seen most of his videos and after doing this for a couple decades I have started using some of his methods for lure design. Have been considering trying out the resin route and was picking Jigmans brain and got alot of info from him. The video u posted sums it up pretty well although what was described to me and most of what I have seen are two part molds. This guy makes a one piece and cuts it in half. Is that what you're doiing ?

For my original mold I followed Solar baits process-  basically making a bed of modeling clay, carving out the clay and embedding the lure up to the mid line of the bait, carefully filling in the gaps for a nice clean mid line and then building up legos to create the pour box for my silicon.  Super easy.

Very nice work Putty. I, started about five years ago with the resins and have had good success. Made molds for SP Bullets, Swarters, needlefish and Mirrolures. I've used lead flashing for weight, bending it over the through wire ad letting it basically all hang below the center line to keep the ballast low.Pre form the nose and tail loops to fit the mold.Do-It makes wire inserts for their Flutter Jig molds in different sizes which can work out well  for through wires. Wishing you great results, Sam

Edited by sandflea5

Have not messed with the featherlite stuff. Have done a bunch with allumalite stuff. Just about all of my molds are one piece. Cut a slice down the center of the mold and cut a pour hole at one end. When it's time to demold, just pull the plug out of the mold. 

The allumalite resins I believe are more dense than the featherlite? You can add balloons to the allumalite, but it will only get a little less dense than birch.