The latest Plug Craze

119 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 mins ago, MorningWood said:

My brother in law and sister own the place. I think I'm good

I forgot about that...  

They are doing a nice job in surviving with the heater

Edited by Goldy

I was just wondering this the other day...at what age group is buying this new stuff up and paying the prices.......20 to 30....30 to 40...40 to 50 ?..can't see 50 and above cause they should know better...unless their taking a chance in hopes of making money down the road.

I have to agree that the fact everyone is at home not spending money, leaves any or all of the disposable income for other hobbies. I know personally I am not going out to bars, restaurants or even the typical ski weekends we would do if COVID wasn't a thing leaves more for fishing.

Now as to the crazy fluctuation of prices, I am at a total loss. $200 for a darter are you kidding me. Whatever the attraction is for these guys, good for them and their deep pockets. At least the builders are getting coin back, some of them at least. 

3 mins ago, RyanJ_88 said:

I have to agree that the fact everyone is at home not spending money, leaves any or all of the disposable income for other hobbies. I know personally I am not going out to bars, restaurants or even the typical ski weekends we would do if COVID wasn't a thing leaves more for fishing.

Now as to the crazy fluctuation of prices, I am at a total loss. $200 for a darter are you kidding me. Whatever the attraction is for these guys, good for them and their deep pockets. At least the builders are getting coin back, some of them at least. 

That rogue bottle was near 300$.. I almost $hit myself

12 mins ago, capesams said:

I was just wondering this the other day...at what age group is buying this new stuff up and paying the prices.......20 to 30....30 to 40...40 to 50 ?..can't see 50 and above cause they should know better...unless their taking a chance in hopes of making money down the road.

That's a good point Steve. I think its the younger guys without families (or at least without kids in college) who are paying these prices. Anyone married to a woman is going to have some splaining to do. Facebook and social media have also played a big role in the new builder craze, and as you know social media is not really the stage for old timers. I've been trying for years to get Mike Fixter to get a paypal account.

Also admittedly overpaid for a few plugs this winter, 30-40 y/o, by maybe $5 each. But  wow what I see some of these younger kids paying for plugs, on ebay and fb (under 18 y/o) have me questioning more than just my own life choices, but where in the hell are these kids getting this kind of money? I remember working all summer at a hospital at 16  to buy myself a new Scotty putter and I was elated when I finally got it. Times sure are changing

2 mins ago, MorningWood said:

That's a good point Steve. I think its the younger guys without families (or at least without kids in college) who are paying these prices. Anyone married to a woman is going to have some splaining to do. Facebook and social media have also played a big role in the new builder craze, and as you know social media is not really the stage for old timers. I've been trying for years to get Mike Fixter to get a paypal account.

LOL I am 33 and had never sent a money order before, that was a first for me. I fall into the above category, married homeowner with 6-month old. I cant imagine spending much more than I do without my wife asking some serious questions. Luckily her only hobby is shopping for herself so were gooood

Everyone does prove a good point in here when it comes to people being on a screen for a significant amount of time throughout the day with the pandemic going on. With the amount of platforms to see plugs, such as Facebook, Instagram, SOL, and Ebay, it sure does get guys wanting to buy them. There aren't things to go outside of the house to really spend money on, and people are resorting to buying plugs. Now, I will also agree that it is absolutely nuts that people will spend the amount of money I have seen being spent on certain plugs. Sure, don't me wrong, Mikes custom's builds a phenomenal darter. Never had one, but from hearing from others, I'm certain it does a phenomenal job of catching fish. But to spend the amount on that compared to 20 dollars for a superstrike, which has proven itself day in and day out, mind boggles me. But to each of their own, If someone has the money to spend on it and it satisfies them, good for them. In addition, the reason I think the plug market is going crazy is because of how many people have recently got into the sport. I know a few people that work in tackle shops, and they had a huge interest this year from people who haven't fished ever. Buying quality reels, rods, bags, etc. So when you look at the price of some plugs compared to others as a newbie, you will assume that the plug is of high quality, which in this case, all these plugs are! Does that make the the price some of them are selling for? In my opinion, no, but that's not for me to decide whether someone wants to spend the money on a plug or not.

Something that I have not seen anyone explicitly mention is the "influencer" culture, e.g. someone on social media that has a big following promoting a specific builder or plug. I have been watching a great series on youtube about different plugs that work for one individual and will admit that after watching the videos I was tempted to look into getting some of the specific plugs mentioned. Then I thought to myself, wait a minute, this guy fishes in a completely different location and in a different way than I do, so the likelihood of that plug working for me isn't all that high. In this person's defense, he consistently mentions that the plugs he is talking about are what work for him and may not work for others, and he also often promotes lower cost plugs alongside builders like Mike's.That all being said, I think a lot of people, especially those just getting started, look for videos on how to fish and make the mistake of buying things that work for someone else. That fact, coupled with a lot of what others have said (people are bored, there is money that is not being spent on other things, etc.) creates a perfect storm. 

You guys know I fish I never even heard of Mike's plugs except online hype.  In my opinion the state of the fishery and bait render half those plugs useless. Now certain spots they are going to produce but most of the hyped stuff is not for everyday fishing. 

3 hours ago, VitaminDee said:

I look at the prices of freshwater swim baits and want to throw up. I don't understand that market either. 

This totally took me by surprise as I was never a fresh water guy, holy crap those jointed swimbaits are insane. 

and @drumfish213 I think you’re onto something as well. How many lines of products from diff brands does skinner have now? And with fishaholic ans how many other youtubers right behind him one shop on LI must do prettttttty well thst they keep producing and expanding these types of lines. My thought is Bc people watch YouTube or IG and boom gotta have that rod reel bait Bc that will make me instantly better fisherman. Don’t get me wrong good for the shop but people are dumb dumb dumb :shrug:

1 hour ago, drumfish213 said:

Something that I have not seen anyone explicitly mention is the "influencer" culture, e.g. someone on social media that has a big following promoting a specific builder or plug. I have been watching a great series on youtube about different plugs that work for one individual and will admit that after watching the videos I was tempted to look into getting some of the specific plugs mentioned. Then I thought to myself, wait a minute, this guy fishes in a completely different location and in a different way than I do, so the likelihood of that plug working for me isn't all that high. In this person's defense, he consistently mentions that the plugs he is talking about are what work for him and may not work for others, and he also often promotes lower cost plugs alongside builders like Mike's.That all being said, I think a lot of people, especially those just getting started, look for videos on how to fish and make the mistake of buying things that work for someone else. That fact, coupled with a lot of what others have said (people are bored, there is money that is not being spent on other things, etc.) creates a perfect storm. 

Drum, You are right, the influencer crowd is there as well. Can you PM me the title of the youtube, I want to see it as well to watch..

It's a perfect storm of stuff. That is for sure... 

1 hour ago, crazybellringer said:

You guys know I fish I never even heard of Mike's plugs except online hype.  In my opinion the state of the fishery and bait render half those plugs useless. Now certain spots they are going to produce but most of the hyped stuff is not for everyday fishing. 

That's b/c where you fish they don't work... haha j/k  .  If you listened to vorhees on SJ podcast, he built plugs for a specific spot only.  That makes sense.