Goldy

The latest Plug Craze

99 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm confused as to what on earth is going on with the latest plug crazy out there.  Why are Mike's going for 200+ on fleabay.  Who is paying 200+ for a bottle darter?  

GRS's new prices...    Blond Terror 60$ darters?  Am I missing something?  

Is this going to be like gas prices and keep going up?

Note for thread: Do not bash people or builders as @tims will lock it, it's more a discussion on the current plug craze

@tims - I put the thread here instead of main, so I hope it fits here

Edited by Goldy

I see two things going on simultaneously. An overpriced secondary market and a financially stimulated economy. The plug builders that are raising their prices are trying to get some but this wont last for long. Bad time to be buying, great time to be selling. 

Stimulus money and stay at home affect.  People have more time to look at or search for plugs as they are at home and on their computer more then ever. Plug builders probably saw a rise in requests and material cost so up went the prices.

It’ll stop when people stop paying  them. As long as there is a market, people will take advantage...as they should

if somebody wants 50-60$ for a plug I simply tell them no

I agree with what others have said, there's not as many places or things to spend your cash on as there were 12-18 months ago. I just don't understand the meteoric rise in prices like Mike's is experiencing...plug hypebeasts driving that for sure... 

Lol - i had to crack up when I jumped on to the BST a month ago and saw someone asking $140 for a Mike's darter.  It seems like a lot of FOMO/impulse buying.  If you don't get this plug, you won't have another opportunity to do so, or you're missing out on catching fish without it.  Like DZ said, more power to the builders getting in on it.  Might as well with people lining up to buy them at those prices.

I don't know if anyone here drinks bourbon, but that market has been pretty wild with the pandemic going on.  People buying and flipping run of the mill stuff for more than double retail.  People lining up at booze stores waiting for delivery trucks and what not.  Crazy times

19 mins ago, jbaer said:

Lol - i had to crack up when I jumped on to the BST a month ago and saw someone asking $140 for a Mike's darter.  It seems like a lot of FOMO/impulse buying.  If you don't get this plug, you won't have another opportunity to do so, or you're missing out on catching fish without it.  Like DZ said, more power to the builders getting in on it.  Might as well with people lining up to buy them at those prices.

I don't know if anyone here drinks bourbon, but that market has been pretty wild with the pandemic going on.  People buying and flipping run of the mill stuff for more than double retail.  People lining up at booze stores waiting for delivery trucks and what not.  Crazy times

Yummy

o.jpg

I am a bit of an old timer and most of my plugs have been purchased a long time ago by some of the top builders here in the jersey shore area...sadly some have passed on but most of what I throw today accounts for the fish I take and always reminds me of the builder who sold me that special plug but is no longer with us...

11 mins ago, MorningWood said:

Yummy

o.jpg

I live down the street from there.. Let me know if you need me to make a run there for ya, it might cost you a plug.. ha!

More power to the builders is right.  As GRS did they recently raised all their prices from 75 to a min I think of 165 up to 300$.   They don't catch anymore fish than other plugs... 

33 mins ago, t_man7 said:

As Tim said, who are we to judge what someone else is paying for a plug?  I believe he called this "Plug Policing".

Tommy, - I'm not being the plug police, i'm more having a conversation.  This could be a covid effect as others are sitting home and not much else to spend money on.   I know for myself i'm not going to restaurants as much as i used to.  So I get it, maybe people are making different choices.. 

Good for the builders, bad for people that want to fish the plugs... I'm just glad superstrikes still work.. :-)

Just now, Goldy said:

I live down the street from there.. Let me know if you need me to make a run there for ya, it might cost you a plug.. ha!

More power to the builders is right.  As GRS did they recently raised all their prices from 75 to a min I think of 165 up to 300$.   They don't catch anymore fish than other plugs... 

Tommy, - I'm not being the plug police, i'm more having a conversation.  This could be a covid effect as others are sitting home and not much else to spend money on.   I know for myself i'm not going to restaurants as much as i used to.  So I get it, maybe people are making different choices.. 

Good for the builders, bad for people that want to fish the plugs... I'm just glad superstrikes still work.. :-)

My brother in law and sister own the place. I think I'm good

Just now, Goldy said:

This could be a covid effect

I agree with this.  I think a factor driving this are the relative newcomers to surfcasting.  With the pandemic, more people are staying close to home...more people fishing. Newcomers don't really know what they need, or what a "normal" market would bear.  They want to catch - see something they heard is good, and they move on it without being price sensitive. 

Admittedly, I partially put myself in this category, but I'm a bit older, I'm cheap (frugal?) by nature, and I don't have a lot of disposable income, so I'm somewhat protected from this particular form of hysteria.