Naugs31

Wheatley fly box

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Recently came across this Wheatley Fly box and can't find any info on it. Was curious if any of you know anything about it and if it's worth anything. Thanks in advance. 

20210220_142117.jpg

20210220_142100.jpg

20210220_142024.jpg

20210220_142031.jpg

Looking at the Bears Den web page it looks like a Wheatly Compartment 1410F model which currently sells for $82.00. Yes they have value and are well made fly boxes.

55 mins ago, JEFFSOD said:

Looking at the Bears Den web page it looks like a Wheatly Compartment 1410F model which currently sells for $82.00. Yes they have value and are well made fly boxes.

I did see the one on BD site but this seems like It's older because the gentleman who had it had it for years. Plus it's not foam it's like a wool material. I may swing in and have Scott check it out. 

5 hours ago, Naugs31 said:

Recently came across this Wheatley Fly box and can't find any info on it. Was curious if any of you know anything about it and if it's worth anything. Thanks in advance. 

20210220_142117.jpg

20210220_142100.jpg

20210220_142024.jpg

20210220_142031.jpg

It's in a decent been used condition it would fetch around $75. I'd use it got a few myself .  

The fly catapult!   Careful when you open the  lids, if a fly is attached they fling them to the winds. I had one and auctioned it off for charity. Nice boxes made for a lifetime. 

4 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

It's in a decent been used condition it would fetch around $75. I'd use it got a few myself .  

right on the money here, you can find them a bit cheaper  but $75 is about right  Wheatley has made boxes in all sorts of configurations some are very rare and highly collectible. I once had a wheatley flask that came in a leather case, nice... 

I've not seen that exact config before with the 2 larger central compartments. There is definitely a market for antique Wheatley boxes so I would do your research before selling it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Naugs31: this box is still made by Wheatley. It's called a 4 inch compartment box which Wheatley offers with options: 8, 10 or 12 compartments with either clips or foam pad in the lid. The one like yours (with a slightly different configuration of the compartments, with the two larger middle compartments being on the opposite of the hinge side) sells for 65£. Just google "wheatley fly boxes" and you will get to it.

And if you decide to keep and use it, Wheatley makes replacement lid foam pads.

Edited by Suave
Mistake

Wheatley Fly Boxes were the gold standard when I was a kid.

Valued more now as they age. I could never afford one when I was young.

Made in England of British Royalty, they were highly prizes by the noble fishermen.

Perrine boxes (sp) had similar construction and compartments, but no where hold the value of a Wheatley.

I have several dry fly models.

Back in the early sixties... Wheatley boxes were retailing around $80.00.  

And I have quite a few, including this 4 inch 12 compartments that I've had for over 40 years. 20210223_122250.jpg.53b6f00782787665ebe8f5b80aea678b.jpg

That box is actually 4 3/4" by 3 1/2".

They were the first boxes I brought when I started fly fishing.  I still have 4.  Can't remember what I paid for them.  I probably ruined whatever value they had when I replaced the fly holders with foam that has slits to hold the flies. 

6 hours ago, bloosfisher said:

The fly catapult!   Careful when you open the  lids, if a fly is attached they fling them to the winds. I had one and auctioned it off for charity. Nice boxes made for a lifetime. 

I got one that does that in one corner , I just put a maker to the corner of the offender so when I open it my thumbs there to keep it from opening . 

6 hours ago, Suave said:

And I have quite a few, including this 4 inch 12 compartments that I've had for over 40 years. 20210223_122250.jpg.53b6f00782787665ebe8f5b80aea678b.jpg

That box is actually 4 3/4" by 3 1/2".

I've got one like that, but with spring clips instead of foam.  I've had mine for 42 years and I love it, in spite of its quirks.

I also have the little wet fly box that fits neatly in a vest pocket.